Wacked

Discussion in 'Software' started by ACE 256, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

My computer is wacked and iv never ben good with software.
    I can't open internet explorer links in a windo it shows a blank windo and a blamk addres bar.
    I can't download windows updates wen i start downloding thim it desplays perparing to download and freezes. Windows explorer frequently crashes and so does media player.
    I have nortin antivires fully updated and it finds no problims. Spybot - Search & Destroy
    also finds no problims. I have window XP pro corprit edition.

I'v tryed REGSVR32.EXE MSHTML.DLL and REGSVR32.EXE URLMON.DLL the dident help.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

:rolleyes:

Ok. Do you use a popup stopper?

-Try uninstalling it.

Do you have cable or behind a router?

-Try safeMode w/ Networking

Using a firewall?

-Try removing it.

Disable third party browser extensions in Internet Options->advanced.

When is the last time it worked?

-Try System Retore

3. ACE 256

tryed all those

Iv already tryed all that. Its got me stumped. The only thing i can think of is to reinstall windows.

4. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

You've tried system restore back to a date when it worked fine or it has never worked fine? I'm confused on you're "I've tried all that."

5. ACE 256

:-?

Its bin like this for as long as i can remember latly it bin giting worse.
    iI cand try quck restore its bin to long an iv tryed every thing Adrynalyne seggeted.
    Its got me. :confused:

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

:|

I dunno. Sounds fishy to me. Doe this, next time windows explorer or Internet Explorer crashes get all details of the error.

Espeically the modname.

7. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

LOL!!!

you're funny when you're mad...

you are mad, right?

I have a weird sense of humor...

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

LOL, did I come off as mad?

Suspicious mostly.

I spend every day at work listening to people who say they have tried everything, only to find they have not.

You would be shocked how many I have caught in lies. When they don't know the OS as well as you do, or worse, have no common sense, they end up contradicting themselves over and over.

My favorite one?

Me: Have you checked for firewalls?
    Tech: Yup. There are none.
    Me: Really? Hmmm, tell me what third party services are in Msconfig.
    Tech: Ok. *hold music*
    Tech: yada, yada, yada, Norton Internet Security, yada, yada, yada, True Vector Service, yada.
    Me: Interesting. So um, why don't we uninstall those firewalls that aren't installed...:rolleyes:

I get this at least 12 times a day. Same scenario, same outcome.

I've realized my job is not to help the techs do their job, my job is deciphering the bullsh*t they say, extracting the truth, and then from there, giving them sound advice.

I don't get paid enough for this crap.

/rant mode off

Sorry 'bout that. Bad day at work.

Back to our regular programming.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2004
  9. ACE 256

I have done every thing on your first post to the best of my nolidge. I cant attatch files because IE is whacked or id sind you a pic of explorer not working.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Just watch for the next time one them crashes and write down all the details.

One of them, the most important, wil be a modname, or module name.

A lot of times you can find out what is causing the problem.

I still suspect spyware. That which will crash IE, will crash explorer.exe too.

They are linked in that way. Browser Helper Objects for IE also interface with Windows Explorer.

11. ACE 256

Xvid.dll is the mod name. I dont understand if Xvid is a video codic why is it efecting EI or Windows Explorer?

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Are you positive? I don't see the connection, unless you are playing a video when this happens.

post a screenie of the details, if you can.

13. ACE 256

Explorer crashes whin i play soom movies.
    But that dosent explain y IE is not working.
    IE dosent crash any more but it wont work right i cant open links that are in windows. I cant use windows update, when i click download and install a progress bar appers and dosent move even after hours and its only a 7 or 8 Mb
    download and iv got a 2mb connection. Im copletly stumped.
    :confused:

14. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

just a couple of things
    Uninstall the XviD codec ( Start, Settings, Control Pannel, Sounds and Audio Devices, [Hardware Tab], Highlight Video Codecs, and click Properties. - Now, highlight your xvid codec, and click remove or uninstall.

Reinstall Xvid Codec. Get your copy here:
    http://www.divx-ac3.com/files/XviD_Install.exe

also if you are using xp corprit edition or the corporate edition are you using the corporate update site
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp?corporate=true

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats just the Windows Update Catalog, General.

16. General_Lee_Stoned

yeah sorry thats where i usually go but i notice if you click windows update in the bottom corner it still says corporate-true rather than the usual default asp that comes up by linking through IE I was given this link and thought it was the way to go :rolleyes:

so what your telling me is that its the exact same thing?

sorry m8 having followed most of your postings i know that when it comes to microsoft your a better man than me so i will now go and hide in a corner :(

and there was me thinking i had the inside track on microsoft

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I don't know about better, equal maybe :)

MS closed down the corporate site some time ago, and told everyone that they would need to use the windows update catalog for now on.

So it justs redirects.

Which doesn't really change anything, because the corp site just allowed you to save updates to your drive. Same as the catalog.

Seems to me it was on a website...

I hate Theregister, but it does talk about it :)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/26093.html

18. General_Lee_Stoned

thanxs for not hosing me on that one guess you learn something new every day :)

anyway ace guess theres something else wrong with your corprit update have you tried contacting microsoft

19. ACE 256

Im gana reinstall windows and see if thet helps.
    If it works im going straght to windows udate.
    Good idea ???

20. Mocean

Mocean Guest

I got a GREAT IDEA! Call microsoft....you woudnt have any reason not to..... would you?

21. ACE 256

Iv reinstaled windows and every thing semes to work but windoes explorer still crashes.

IE works perfect. What do you think about zone alarm pro and should i install it ??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds