waiting 5 to 6 mins on startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by toepick, Sep 28, 2009.

1. toepick

toepick Private E-2

winxp sp3

Something on start up is causing my computer to wait 5 to 6 mins before finishing its start up, it starts right after avg loads into the tray (but I have had avg and it has never taken that long).

I do not have any scans active on super_anti_sypware, or malwarebytes.

I boot in normal mode

As far as i can tell I have removed all unnecessary services from that viper website, with the exception of a few things that i know (like printer/printer spool, graphics).

I removed windows search 4

Indexing is disabled

I'm just scratching my head now. What log would you guys need to see, or what program should i get to look at whats causing this lag when my system starts up. And it does lag; idle processes has the cpu at 99%, and about the only thing that works is my web browser (firefox) until its finished doing whatever it is doing; at which point the tray icon for superAntiSpyware shows up, along with my internet connection icon.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you've done all those things it might just be old age. A bit like the human body, it's a fact that no matter how much TLC you give it, Windows does just get slower and slower. After a few years you really have no option but to reinstall - a real pain but it does transform it.

Now you're going to tell me you've only had it three weeks ;)

3. toepick

toepick Private E-2

:cry
    I don't think I've heard the 'old age' theory before, I could understand if it got longer and longer on start up over time, but this happened after/during removal of a recent infection. I thought maybe some of the programs installed during the process here was causing it, but they all uninstalled fine and the issue remains. I also recently started using 'normal' mode for booting, I think there was a post somewhere here about making sure all the stuff is out of that? I don't know, I'm looking for that post now lol.

4. toepick

toepick Private E-2

Well, here is my startup list from hjt, maybe someone can eye something in there that might be causing the problem.

Maybe I have a service turned off thats stalling something else?

Attached Files:

5. toepick

toepick Private E-2

Welp...we have a faster starting windows, one or more of the services required for windows update wasn't running so it was stalling there, now i boot right up but i am now also getting this error message that i can not seem to get rid of:

svchost.exe - application
    0x7c91b21a referenced memory at 0x00000010 memory could not be written

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds