Waiting too long

Discussion in 'Software' started by markata, Dec 5, 2006.

1. markata

markata Private E-2

Hello people,
    I have really annoying problem. I use Windox XP Proffesional October 06 edition.
    Well the problem is when i start my pc, it loads the windows xp screen with the blue bar and then it's gone. Till nothing bad but when it disappears, i have to wait about 40 seconds to load my taskbar and the icons on my desktop. I really
    don't know why i have to wait so much time - in this time my computer does nothing. Than suddenly it starts to work - how can u help me ? May be i can make a video what exactly happens if u haven't yet understood me ?
    help! , 10x :eek:

2. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

it seems that you have too many programms running on startup. There are some utilities to fix that. Try ccleaner. With this you can change the startup entries, just be a little careful as you might need some of those programmes.

3. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

40 seconds for a boot aint to bad.......how many processes are enabled for start up, and what are they?

edit: oops....sorry sailor, you snuck under me!

4. markata

markata Private E-2

i knew you wouldn't understand me. well i have 512mb ddr ram and when windows start it uses 310mb. that's not the problem. i have captured a video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcV3Y7Qs6no
    here you can see how long i have to wait before the RED light to appear and my pc to start thinking - what could be the problem ? after this my status bar and icons appears for 15sec and i can use my computer , but when you see the move you'll se what i meant before. is there any solution ?

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Speed up the Start Menu
    =======================

The default speed of the Start Menu is pretty slow, but you can fix that by editing a Registry Key. Fire up the Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Desktop \ MenuShowDelay

By default, the value is 400. Change this to a smaller value, such as 0, to speed it up.

Speed up the Start Menu (Part two)
    =========================
    If your confounded by the slow speed of the Start Menu, even after using the tip above, then you might try the following: Navigate to Display Properties then Appearance then Advanced and turn off the option titled Show menu shadow . You will get much better overall performance.

Let us know if this helps.

6. markata

markata Private E-2

the first step didn't help.
    the second step i could navigate to it , because i didn't find where exactly is this option. but i remember that i have done it in the past. well i think the problem is not so in the start menu then we can consider it to the time when the computer does nothing. it stops to operate as if it falls asleep, i can't imagine it why it doesn't start to load my things immediately. may be this is something really minute, but i can't help myself :( why the red light it just stops to appear ? as if everything has been loaded ?

7. TimW

Start / run /type "msconfig" without qoutes ...go to the last tab and stop all items (uncheck) ..then go to services and check the box to hide all microsoft services ...then disable the rest ...OK your way out ...then reboot and see if it is faster ...(you will get a notice that you are in selective or diagnostic startup ..check the box to not notify you again ...also, unplug any usb items other than mouse or keyboard ...)

Are you on a network?

8. markata

markata Private E-2

again the same. it just stops to thing when it has to. yes, i have a pppoe internet connection - may be it can be from my windows the problem ?

9. TimW

For the halibut ...disconnect your internet cable ...

10. markata

markata Private E-2

still nothinh :( what should i do ?

11. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

That is along time, on my old system I used to use Tweak all 3 to to remove all sorts of invisible startup programs that werent listed in the startup folder. There was other handy tools as well. we dont have it here at MG so you would have to google it. I always found it worked great.
    Also I have noticed that just because the red light isnt goin crazy its still loading or thinking about somthing. Like others I am almost certain that it is loading startup files. Most likely stuff you dont use or compeletely forgot about. you could always try tweakall 3 and try it.
    Jaza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds