WAMP Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by chas267, Aug 17, 2011.

1. chas267

chas267 Private E-2

Am running Wamp Server, for desktop design purposes, mainly WP .... that being said ... can't seem to figure out why some WP themes won't load up or work at all in the environment. Have set cURL in PHP, any other suggestions out there for places to look in the set up to make it work? Should I activate all of the PHP settings in the PHP set up section?
    Thanks for any help available,

chas267

2. sevenismagic

sevenismagic Private First Class

Did you

Create a Wordpress database in phpMyAdmin?
    Download and install the latest version of Wordpress?
    Let Windows replace the index.php file there with the Wordpress index file?
    Drop entire contents (what is inside the folder - not the folder) of Wordpress folder into the "www" folder?
    Open the "wp-config-sample" file in the Wordpress folder (now located in the "www" folder) with a text editor and change:

'DB_NAME'
    'DB_USER'
    'DB_PASSWORD'
    'DB_HOST'

Save the file as wp-config.php....

3. chas267

chas267 Private E-2

thanks sevinismagic ... yes, to the following:
    1) DB creation ... yes
    2)latest WP ... yes
    3)not quite sure what replace the index.php file means, I have not noticed Windows replacing that file ... ?
    4)drop contents into www folder .... yes
    5)enter data required into the config-sample file and rename ... yes

If you're well versed in WAMP, let me send you a copy of the theme, maybe you can figure where it's going wrong. I can get other themes to work, but not this particular one. I had trouble with one other theme as well ... the "PROFIT" theme. It gives me a fit as well. I've about concluded that some themes aren't meant to be used in that environment, no matter how much we spend on them.

4. sevenismagic

Did you install it from another site? It could just be that the theme is broken. Period.

The thing about getting themes from the WP directory is that they have been tested in WP and have been found by WP and others in the WP community to work properly. If you downloaded it from another site, it's most likely just not been tested and/or debugged.

I would contact whomever designed the theme (if you can), and let them know it's broken.

If you did find it in the directory, what name is it under? It is not found using the search, "Profit."

5. chas267

chas267 Private E-2

Unfortunately, it is a purchase from an outside seller. The strange part is, I can put it up on the webspace server, and it works. It won't even load up properly in the WAMP environment. It does have to have a developer's code or right to use code input for the theme to activate. I surmise that's where the problem lies.

6. sevenismagic

It seems like rule number 1 is to test themes on your local machine first.

What kind of response are you getting from whomever you purchased it from? I assume it's nothing since you're here. I also assume you LOVE the theme and don't want to uninstall it and get your money back...?

One thing: Is the name in the theme file the exact name of what shows up in your themes menu in WP?

Other than that, I don't think there's much I can do. It looks like it's just a bad egg. Only thing you can do is check what you know (the css and html in the theme file). If you're like me...the PHP stuff may as well be written in Mandarin.

I don't think there's anyone here that's going to sift through a WP theme line by line and make sure it's built properly.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. chas267

chas267 Private E-2

Thanks for all of your kind assistance. I do believe I'll just chalk this one up as a bad investment, and move on to another one that I know works. Sometimes, in today's environment, a bad investment is easy stumble into.
    Thanks again ...

8. sevenismagic

Before you give up, I would try posting in the Wordpress forums. There's a lot of support there from people that have been using WP since it was born.

Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds