Wannacrypt Attacking

Discussion in 'Malware Help - Public (Anyone Can Post & Respond)' started by mark59, May 17, 2017.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I have Advanced SystemCare 10.3 Free (and up-to-date) on my laptop (Windows 10) and received, today, a warning message about the recent ransomware attack on various UK and other European computer networks. The warning linked me to the Iobit Web site (http://www.iobit.com/en/tips-how-to-prevent-wannacrypt-attacking-80.php?p=asc) recommending I take the steps listed there to protect my PC. I have two questions. First, does this Web page from Iobit seem to be genuine? Secondly, if it is would it be a good idea to follow its recommendations?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

No signs yet that the attack affected any Win 10 systems.
    Microsoft already provided a patch for this attack for all Operating Systems so you should run Windows Update and be sure it says 'your system is up to date'.
    Everyone running IoBit software - of all kinds - will receive that page. Whether a user follows it is up to them.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Source: http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...in-danger-from-the-wannacrypt-ransomware.html

Windows 7, I suspect was the large target. If you did not install March's patch
    KB4012215 Quality rollup
    or
    KB4012212 Security only rollup
    then you had a major problem.

If you don't patch make images.

If you haven't updated Win 8 to 8.1 then either install the patch for Win 8 OR upgrade and start patching 8.1.

If you still run Vista, grab the MS patch.

Finally from the same source above
    Forget Iobit, grab the patch that MS put out.

Imandy Mann likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds