Want to completely restore my windows xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by simpsonsdirektor, Nov 17, 2010.

1. simpsonsdirektor

simpsonsdirektor Private E-2

I've seen other posts and etc, but I havent managed to find one for what I have in mind.

I have an old pc running windows xp

Its my "family" computer and therefore neglected and abused

Id like to Completely wipe it out..

get another xp disk and uninstall everything

not system restore or any other programs

something with cmd or something.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

That requires nothing more than popping your installation disk in the drive, booting to it and following the prompts. Allow it to format the drive and everything on there now will be history.

3. simpsonsdirektor

oh that's it? I'm pretty sure I have the installation disk but hypothetically what if I can't find it?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you have the XP serial number, usually located on the outside of the case, you can borrow any XP CD, provided it is the same flavor (Home, Pro) and use it to install a fresh copy.

5. Earthling

Well - maybe not quite. Do you have the drivers disk for your computer? If not, after installing Windows you will need to download them from the manufacturer's website. Then there's SP2, SP3, post-SP3 updates, and your software licences of course.

So don't just rush into it - do a bit of planning and predownloading first.

6. simpsonsdirektor

well I have another xp disk I believe...but it's from a different computer

7. Earthling

As plodr said, you can use any XP disk of the same XP version as long as you have a legitimate product key, but it has to be a retail installation disk, not an OEM version. OEM versions are for use on a specific machine and cannot legally be used on a different machine.

8. simpsonsdirektor

see I'm not sure if I have the key for the computer I want to fix...what should I do if cannot access a key?

9. Earthling

XP has to be activated, for which you need a valid key. There isn't a legal way around that.

10. simpsonsdirektor

can I buy a copy of xp? I mean cause this computer can't handle vista or 7 really either.

so if I have a disk for xp, never opened, I ant use it to reinstall it on a different computer?

is there another option then?
    this computer is bogged down with so many programs and spyware and viruses and malware...theres got to be something I can do to just bomb it out and start anew.

11. sevenismagic

sevenismagic Private First Class

Here is a link to Amazon to buy XP. As far as I know there is no other place to get it unless you can borrow a copy from a friend and use the key on the outside of your machine as PLODR has already explained.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Windows+xp&x=0&y=0
    Pro is going to run $300 or so and up . I would never pay such a price for software that seemingly will not be supported at all in the near future. You might be able to bargain. Home edition is fine, IMO. It looks like you can get it for about $100 or so.

12. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

13. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I agree with brandypeppy's advice to save a copy of your key.

I would definitely get the key from Belarc Advisor or MagicJellyBean and write it down before considering clearing out your current XP installation.

14. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

SIW is also very good.

15. simpsonsdirektor

so if i can find out my current xp key with that program, I can use a different disc and restore it?

i mean Id have to write it down obviously

16. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

This may not be a viable option but I'll mention it just in case. You could install a Linux OS on it. Ubuntu is a popular Linux OS.

17. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

18. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

This will grab the key you are currently using this:
    http://majorgeeks.com/Magical_Jelly_Bean_Keyfinder_d2612.html

You can use a Microsoft OEM disc to install also.

19. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

20. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

21. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

SORRY!!! i didn't realise it was only a disc image of the sp3 update!!!
    My Appologies.:-o

22. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Belarc Advisor is good But it takes a L*O*N*G time to collect all of the info for
    its report (current ver. 8.1.16.4) AND it is in HTML format so it then has to
    load your default browser to show you the report.

I just checked Speccy and
    it shows the Windows version, Installation Date and Serial Number under
    the Operating System heading.

Speccy is from Piriform, the publishers of the well loved CCleaner, has a
    similar appearance and it runs Much more quickly than Belarc, although it
    does not provide all the software and updates info that Belarc does.

23. zeos386sx

zeos386sx Private E-2

another thing to keep in mind is that if this is a dell, hp, or some other oem the key that keyfinders find will not activate. the big oems have volume licenses that are pre-activated, but will not activate through the normal methods.

if you have the restore cd, it would be better to just use that and then uninstall what ever you don't want.

24. simpsonsdirektor

hey, sorry I havent been on in a while.

I need this DELL 4550, yeah its hella old, but its not completely shot yet.

I need it to run xp.

Ill try that speecy link.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds