Want to convert old VHS tapes to DVD.

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigfurrykid, Nov 10, 2010.

1. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

I'm looking to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD and was wondering what software I would need to do this.
    I'm running a Windows 7 machine with more than enough power to do the task, just need the software.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Don't you just need to hook up the Video recorder to the DVD recorder? Video and sound out from VHS to Video and sound in on DVD player? Hit record on the DVD player and start the VHS player.

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

There are many USB adapter units that will connect to the RCA outputs (red, white, yellow) on a VCR and include the software for recording from the VCR.

Since I haven't used mine with Win 7 yet, my advice is to go to NewEgg.com and Amazon.com and read the user reviews - I trust these a lot more than manufacturer's claims (more than once, I've discovered "Works with Windows 7" refers only to the 32-bit version; with 64-bit you're SOL).

Since I've copied dozens of tapes, here are a few more thoughts:

• VHS movies that were purchased at retail are copy protected. If you try to convert them the picture quality will be horrible to nonexistant.
    • The digital transfer will reflect the original quality of the recording. Twenty year old home videos converted and replayed on a plasma TV will still look like 20 year old VHS.
    • Even with a beefier PC, the video conversion process will essentially monopolize the system resources. If you have dozens or hundreds of tapes, you might be better off buying a stand-alone VCR/DVR unit ($200-$250) that does it automatically without a PC. If you choose this option and initially transfer to DVD, pay close attention to the next tip
    • Backup, backup, backup! If you have irreplacable memories, use an external HDD to backup the data and/or consider an online backup such as Carbonite. DO NOT rely on recordable DVDs for long-term backups! I discovered this the hard way; they can degrade to the point of being unplayable in just a few years.

Hope these tips help. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds