Want to leave or remove homegroup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chickbull, Dec 7, 2012.

1. chickbull

chickbull Private E-2

I found I have a homegroup with my 2 computers, a desktop and laptop but not what I wanted. From what little I know I can only leave a homegroup not remove it. If that's correct, will it leave me with my 2 computers totally separate and back like it was before it became a homegroup? I simply want my wife to have the desktop (windows7) and I with the laptop (windows 7) that connects by a router where the desktop is wired to. When the desktop became a homegroup, there was another user icon added on the front page besides the one my wife logs into. Maybe because we are both users on the laptop with separate logins and live mail for the laptop. She is the only login for the desktop. Hope someone can help. Thank you.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You do not have to use the "Homegroup" option in networking computers. That is just the default setting for Win7 and later OS's.

HERE is a link to describe the procedure for leaving a Homegroup.
    HERE is a link for networking basics. You essentially need to have all computers in the same <WORKGROUP> (default network name) and share files, folders and printers in that <WORKGROUP>.

HTH

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds