Want to mount Gatewate Solo laptop harddrive (win 98) onto Dell Computer (WIN xp 2002

Discussion in 'Software' started by dollar22bill, Aug 21, 2005.

1. dollar22bill

dollar22bill Private E-2

I have 1.84 GB in photos (over 4,700 photos) of my kids on my Dell Computer (operating system: Win XP 2002) and want to back them up. My Dell Computer previously crashed and it cost me $1,200 to have my old harddrive read. I'm concerned about again losing my kids photos.

I have a zip drive on my Dell computer, but that's not gonna work as I would need too many zip disks to accomplish my task. I may be open to removing the zip disk from my Dell computer and installing a second harddrive (but I'm not sure if that will work or whether it can be done easily). I also own a Gatewate Solo laptop that I bought in 1998 and is operating on win 98. In the old days, there was a program called Laplink that could mount a second computer hardrive onto a first computer harddrive. I don't know whether this would work. As a third option, I do own PC relocator, but the only options it allows is to transfer all files from one computer to another and I don't think my old Gatewate Solo laptop could take all the data from my Dell Computer.

I would prefer connecting my Gateway Solo laptop harddrive (win 98) to my Dell Computer (win XP 2002). That way, i could connect to the internet through my Dell Computer and update my Gateway Solo laptop with the latest software as well as copy my 1.84 GB in photos to my Gateway Solo laptop.

In summary, my three options appear to be
    1. Remove Zipdisk and install second harddrive in Dell Computer
    2. Try PC relocator
    3. Somehow connect laptop to Dell computer

I'm open to any suggestions.

2. HollisBrown

HollisBrown Private E-2

Re: Want to mount Gatewate Solo laptop harddrive (win 98) onto Dell Computer (WIN xp

Have you thought about backing up your photos on a DVD data disc? They can hold around 4 gigs of information and you can make as many backup copies as you want. If you have a home network, or know someone with a home network, you can hook both computers up to it and send your photos to the laptop. Or you could buy an external hard drive. Just some things to consider.

3. Ira_Gaines

Ira_Gaines Private E-2

Re: Want to mount Gatewate Solo laptop harddrive (win 98) onto Dell Computer (WIN xp

Buy a USB 2.0 to IDE Cable and plug your laptop drive into it. It will show up as a mass storage device.

I have read good reviews of this one. http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0208

4. Ira_Gaines

Ira_Gaines Private E-2

I did a topic search for something else and found this. Didn't realize a bumped such an old topic. sorry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds