Wanted: Media Player that keeps tracks in CD sequence.

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Title says it all.

Wanted: Media Player that keeps tracks in CD sequence.

For musicals, or mixed CD tracks, that tell a story as the music unfolds, it is a PITA when the media player re-arranges the tracks (probably in Alphabetical sequence).

Take "O Brother where art thou", for example. Po Lazurus is the first track (you know, the rock breaking track), Music Match Jukebox (old version) helpfully rearranges the tracks in Alphabetical order so Po Lazurus becomes track #18, not #1.

I am willing to pay for a program that does what we want. Free is better of course. All suggestions welcome. Bazza

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Bazza

I just need to get head around whats going on, so a question for you... is this happening from directly poping the original cd in the drive and playing back or from ripping the cd to MP3 and then playing back?

I tried many cds just now in WMP11 and Realplayer and all play in sequence ok according to tracklisting.

However if its ripped CD to MP3 then did you name the tracks? if so then its likely they will play in alphabetical order, unless you tag the MP3 files accourding to the original cd, I use this free app to check and tag all my ripped cds to MP3 ~ MP3Tag

Which Windows version will be be needing to find an app for if needed?

3. bigbazza

Thanks Halo, for your reply. I will have to burn some more CD's to detail what actually happens (It has been so long since I last burnt any). I tried to install WMP 9 and 11, many times, but they don't work for me. :confused I've been using an olde Free version of Music Match jukebox for ages.

Will get back to you, after #2 son returns from Green Island, where he works, and we try again. Bazza

PS: It will be required for XP SP3 and Vista Home Premium machines. Not installed Vista SP1 yet. ;) Baz

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Bazza

Yes if your burning from MP3s to CD and names the files possibly yourself then yes its highly likely that the tracks will be burned in alphabetical order, need to either rename the tracks for use that app ( will work on XP and Vista fine ).

To rename I find its easy to just do this:

Po Lazurus ~ now ends up as track 18 should be 1

rename to 1. Po Lazarus ~ now is track 1 in the listing.

But yep do let us know more info when you can.. cheers :)

5. bigbazza

Damn, Halo, I thought this may be the only way out. I was hoping to avoid hand numbering. :)

#1 son has a double DJ mixed CD set ( A state of Trance, Year Mix 2007, mixed by Armin Van Buuren). 46 mixed sample partial tracks on CD#1, 39 on CD#2. Admittedly this is an extreme case. But I was hoping for the option to sort to CD Track # sequence without hand numbering. Guess not. :cry :( Bazza

PS: to anyone thinking of re-numbering tracks by hand, make sure you number the first 9 tracks as 01-->09 or you will get 1, followed by 11, 2 followed by 20, etc. :p

===

6. bigbazza

Found the solution. :major Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 does it. I assume later versions of Ashampoo do it as well. I have attached 2 thumbnails as an example.

One thumbnail is for "O Brother where art thou?" showing PO Lazurus as #1. :major Other thumbnail is a grab from some tracks I burnt earlier. Double Santana CD Set. :cool

As long as you sort them to descending Date sequence (I sort on Date accessed) then it is in the sequence I need for certain CD tracks. Only snag is that Ashampoo Burning studio 6 is such a resource hog (it uses 100% of one core of my duo Core CPU) that it will not allow anything else to run. This is despite me using CPU-Control set to Automatic. :cry Still it is a small price to pay to avoid hand numbering. I am not sure what will happen if I try to eliminate duplicates, later on, though. Bazza

Attached Files:

7. bigbazza

Not sure if I was too confident. Ashampoo certainly burns in the correct CD track sequence and labels the tracks accordingly. Not completely sure that the player will play in same sequence that I would like. Needs further investigation on the player side. :cry Bazza

8. bigbazza

A FREE one listed on MG for the first time a few days ago.

FairStars CD Ripper 1.21
    http://majorgeeks.com/FairStars_CD_Ripper_d5976.html

FairStars CD Ripper is a free powerful software for ripping audio CD tracks to WMA, MP3, OGG, VQF, FLAC, APE and WAV formats files on-the-fly.

One feature is 19 different options to save your tracks in your favoured sequence. See Thumbnail. :cool

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds