Wanted: Very effective file shredder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mimsy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

In short, my situation is this: My Gaming Monster, my baby, my shiny jewel, is being replaced. The company that built it has after a lot of phone calls agreed to replace all components with factory new parts, since the need for extensive repairs is all their fault.

Brief tangent: Liquid cooling rocks, when installed correctly. When installed incorrectly it doesn't work. :cry

Back on topic. Every component needs to go back, including the hard drive. The company will reformat it and put it in their "For Repairs"-pile of refurbished parts, because that is how these things work. I really don't want someone else to receive this hard drive, have something happen to it, run a file recovery utility, and find my files recovered along with their own.

I need an effective and reliable file shredder. Suggestions?

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Try "Glaryutilities" Its got a good shredder and wiper as well . Cheers..

3. Mimsy

Doh. I have that one installed on this computer. I feel stupid.

*checked out Glary Utilities file shredder* So this one is actually as effective as it claims?

4. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

5. Mimsy

Ooooo...! Fascinating reading! Thanks chaimjm :)

I will check out the nuke utilities linked to in that blog. AFTER I have copied all my vital info off the hard drive... :-D

6. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I've used it and then tried a few recovery programes ...NO go. But then again I'm no pro.

7. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

8. Mimsy

That's a good idea. I'll run file recovery on the drive to make sure things are gone, before I send it in :)

9. Mimsy

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Mimsy

This one is effective and utilises many high end techniques and algorithms from Peter Guttmann and DoD etc http://www.majorgeeks.com/Eraser_d4221.html and this one is worth a thought as the company your sending it back to is going to reformat the HD anyways http://majorgeeks.com/Dariks_Boot_and_Nuke_d4596.html

Whichever application you use, its best to use multi-pass secure deletion and best would be 5 passes or above, which will write over the data with junk and then write over it again with junk data etc

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds