Warm boot once a day for XP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Robster12, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

A buddy told me to give XP a warm boot once a day. I know that the power spike that arises from a cold boot is potentially harmful. What about possible ill effects of a WARM boot?
    Has anyone else heard about the good that can come from this practice.
    BTW, I plan to disable the Search funtion, which indexes itself during downtime (I never use it anyway),
    Thank you!

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

well going by that turning on your computer is harmful to it, so a warm boot would be less harmful yes.

I think the idea is to reboot your computer at least once a day, which is probably a good idea to free up system resources after using a lot of apps.

Though i never found this nececary with XP it handles memory management much better than 9x builds.

Im not totally sure what the logic behind this in terms of damage to your system though, because really since you arnt actually turning anything off (short of periphrial devices like HD's and CD drive and mouse/keyboard) then you may as well have left it on..

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Dont pee on an electric fence is good advice also

Huh............

Why what did he say would happen?

Any boot process wether cold or warm can be potentialy harmfull, when electrical mechanical devices have any power surge you run the risk of any defective parts failing.... modern PC equipment ( HDs, Memory etc ) is designed to be able to withstand a suddern rush of power otherwis ethe instruction manuals would say DONT SWITCH IT YOU PC OFF!

Do you leave your PC on 24/7? If so do you use a UPS as not doing so can also be harmfull as and power spike from the grid can also kill PCs.

Dunno jury is still out on this one I guess and you will get many answers to the question "Leave On or Switch Off?"

I sometimes leave mine on but generally switch it off if I not going to use it for sometime... never had any problems so far in the years using PCs at home and work.

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Re: Dont pee on an electric fence is good advice also

You've read a lot of computer manuals... this is precisely the grammar they use. :D

IMX, places of business leave PCs on during the week and shut them down for weekends. I kind of use that as a rule of thumb for whether the PC should stay up or not. I suspect their motivation is power consumption, though, so if my PC is going to be busy downloading Linux distros while I'm gone a few days, I just leave it on and let it go.

5. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Thank you guys! I generally leave mine on all the time, I even stay logged on. I have an APC (350 VA). I love the thing! The electicity in Grandma's basement is too "dirty" NOT to have a UPS, anyway. (I see the lights flicker every day!!!).
    Just paranoid about protecting my first baby, I guess....

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Re: Re: Dont pee on an electric fence is good advice also

Hahahhahahhahaa... I have been reading way to many Japanese translated manuals for works machines :( ( I need to stop )

One that I remember off top of my head is "Auto Jumming Load " should read "Auto Load Jamming"... then again if paper is jammed in the machine you would be jumming around the place ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds