Was wondering this.. (RAM question)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nikalou, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Nikalou

Nikalou Private E-2

I am in the process of building a computer

I plan to run 64 bit vista, so that means i'll want to max out my motherboard at 8 gigs of RAM

for now, I only have 1 pair of mushkin redline 1000 (2x2gb) running in dual channel (1 & 2)

my motherboard is the gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4

i bought it from newegg, so the link is here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128089

my question is:

later, when i want to purchase the 2nd pair of 2x2gb RAM, should I go with another pair of the 1000 and drop them in slots 3&4? (making each channel 2 sticks of 2gb 1000)

or should I get the mushkin 800 dual channel kit, so that the slots 2&4 are a bit less powerful? (my thought here is that slots 1 and 3 should be faster, having the 1000 and slots 2 and 4 are not used as often, should not need to be 1000)

i am thankful for any help! i know about building computers, this is just something i've been thinking about lately, and i would like to know what is best for performance and stability in my situtation

thanks!

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

If you have 1000 now buy more of the same later. When you run different speeds of ram ALL the ram will down clock to the slowest ram speed due to bios only being able to handle one frequency/timing setting at a time.

3. Nikalou

Nikalou Private E-2

thanks! exactly what i wanted to know

will def get the other 2 sticks in the near future :]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds