Watercooling A Matx I7-4770k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newmy51, Feb 2, 2016.

1. newmy51

newmy51 Private E-2

Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H LGA 1150 CrossFireX DVI/HDMI mATX
    Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz
    G.Skill Sniper Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
    GeForce GTX 760 (4GB 256-bit GDDR5)
    SanDisk Extreme II 240 GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" SSD
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray/CD/DVD Writer
    Win7Pro x64 SP1

With the help of a friend, I started 24/7 overclocking my CPU to 4.3 GHz to help with heavy duty graphics tasks (primarily focus stacking). This was achieved by adjusting the 'CPU Upgrade' value in the UEFI BIOS under the 'Performance' tab. Idle and stress temps were well within normal range with the installation of a Cooler Master Hyper TX3, but are now peaking at 93c, prompting me to look into simple-assembly water cooling options along the lines of the Corsair H50/H60/H70/H80/H100 and Antec Kuhler H2O 620/920. My questions are:

1. Can I expect better temperatures with one of the above listed water cooling systems, or would I be better off with either a better air cooling system or adjustments to my existing one?

2. What options am I limited to given the space restrictions of a Fractal Design Core 1000 tower?

3. Given that there have been no significant changes in
    the orientation or position of the tower or the temperature of the room in which it's kept, what might have caused this spike in idle and stress temperatures?

4. I've read "elsewhere":http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky that water cooling systems such as those listed above may not provide much needed cooling for the motherboard. How, if at all, should I compensate for this?

Can provide any additional information upon request.

Many thanks in advance,

-newmy51

**NOTE**: Speccy screenshot and OpenHardwareMonitor report reflect idle state. BIOS screenshot was borrowed from another source, and does not necessarily directly represent my exact settings, but shows the location of the 'CPU Upgrade' setting (mine is set to 4.3).

Attached Files:

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds