WD External HDD 2TB not initialized I/O ERROR is it dead???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by papaikolaou1980, May 23, 2015.

1. papaikolaou1980

papaikolaou1980 Private E-2

Hi I have a wd 2tb external hard drive problem (i think its dead) Yesterday my hdd was working fine i powered down went to bed this morning I couldn't find my drive in my computer.
    i opened up computer management and selected disk managment. at the top it shows my c drive and system reserved at the bottom it shows the c drive and drive 1 stating its not initialized.(see attached screen shot)
    when i tryed to performe this task it gives me an error of the request could not be perfomed due to an I/O error.

i have checked all cables and replaced this hasnt helped.
    i downloaded partition find and mount which shows my hdd but states it has 0kb (see attached screen shot).after scan no visable partitions no newpartitions.
    i downloaded the wd hdd wizard and tryed to write 0 to the drive this failed.
    I downloaded mini tool partition wizard that cant find the drive.(screen shot)
    I took the hdd to a computer store he couldnt find it in disk management.
    seatools for windows results cant find it
    disk checkup ran results in screenshot cant run self test
    HDD scan
    all show 0KB no partitions so my question is is it dead???

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, papaikolaou1980. Welcome to Major Geeks! :)

Unfortunately, none of the screenshots are showing here. But, if you've done everything listed in your post and the drive isn't showing properly, I'd say it "died" and if still under warranty, you should get a replacement. If it's a "green" series rather than "blue" or "black", I'd avoid getting another one as there have been many dependability issues with WD's "green" series.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds