WD MyBook Essential2 won't show up in explorer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pennywally, Sep 20, 2008.

1. pennywally

pennywally Private E-2

After plugging in the USB cable of my Mybook Essential2, the following error appears:

"Could not activate the installation software for Volume. Please contact your hardware reseller for information." With a simple OK button.

The disk appears in Computer management/Disk manager where it says that the disk is Active, and working. When I try to format it there, it's not possible - windows then says that the disk is NOT active.

With Partition Magic I manage to format it to NTFS and assign a drive letter to it. But it still won't show up in windows Explorer - the only way to get to it is to right click and choose Browse or Open in Disk manager. Even when I do this the address bar in the opened explorer-window will NOT show the drive letter (in this case U: just to pick something obscure).

I've tried every different USB-port. I tried uninstalling the USB-ports and installing them again but to no help.

Do you have ANY ideas on how to solve this? Or is the problem with the disk? I have two of them, and the same problem for both...

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

3. pennywally

pennywally Private E-2

Actually, I have tried it. I downloaded the program that would reset the disks to factory settings (FAT32 etc) to try everything from the beginning. Which didn't help. I also went through the troubleshooting pages.

Nobody that has ANY idea why this is happening?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds