WDM Audio Compatibility Driver problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by RyuSensei, Jul 28, 2007.

1. RyuSensei

RyuSensei Private E-2

I just moved to Japan and I am working off of a used Fujitsu Lifebook that I bought at a second hand electronics shop after my US laptop decided that it was time to shuffle off the mortal coil. Getting used to a computer that doesn't speak English has taken a lot of getting used to. Not to mention the standard Japanese keyboard.

As I imagine many people have, I came to this sight searching for help with a problem. I don't know how polite this is, but I'm going to ask it here as I don't know if it is a software or hardware issue. Here Goes:

The audio on my machine (Fujitsu FMV-c8210) has died. In my divice manager, I have an "!" next to "Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver"

All attempts to fix this (remember, I can't read most of the text on my machineconfused) have either proven fruitless, or led me to Microsoft's update site where they run some sort of scan and tell me that there is nothing to update.

I understand that a common fix for such a problem is to uninstall and reinstall the driver. The problem is I have no idea where to get the driver and I'm a little scared to uninstall until I have something to reinstall (call me crazy).

Please Help Me!

Thankyou,
    RyuSensei

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You need to find out what your audio device is. Do you have a add-on sound card or just the on board sound?
    You will find it in the Device Manager then click the plussign in front of Sound, Video, Game Controllers.

From what I understand, the Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driverwould only appear if your audio driver was not compatible with yoursystem.

3. RyuSensei

RyuSensei Private E-2

OK, this is what I see when I click the plus. I will use quotation marks to indicate what I am attempting to translate from Japanese.

(!) Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compadibility Driver
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    "Audio" CODEC
    "Video" CODEC
    "Media Controller Device"
    "regashi Audio Driver"
    "regashi Video Capture Device"

Except for the Microsoft, none of these give any indication that they are malfunctioning.

I hope this helps.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm not having an easy time finding the model number you gave me, but I did find this model : Fujitsu Lifebook e8210.
    Take a look at the specs here : http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com....shtml?products/notebooks/tech_specs/e8210_ts
    Does the description fit yours?

I suggest that you download Everest from here and run it so that we can peg your audio a little better. I think I have the right driver for what I think is your audio chipset (Realtek ALC 262) but want to be sure.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    And I have to know what your OS is, too.
    Is it Vista or XP?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2007
  5. RyuSensei

RyuSensei Private E-2

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I don't think this specific model was ever released in the US, the only sites I've found have all been in Japanese. The e8012 looks pretty similar, but I'm not sure what I need to be looking at.

I'm running Windows XP Pro

I downloaded Everest and the only things that show up under multimedia are a gray screen when I click Windows Audio, and when I click PCI/PnP audio I get:
    Intel 82801FBM ICH-M - High Definition Audio Controller [B-2]

In the summary, this Intel device is listed as an audio adapter.

As for the Realtek thing, I'm running a Realtek High Def 260 driver that seems to be working properly.

Thanks for all your help Musksnipe. (I love the avatar BTW, being helped by Beaker is surprisingly reasuring)

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Ok, I think we're getting somewhere. If I ask you for the right things.rolleyes Run Everest again and under computer summary, look for the motherboard chipset. Post back what it is. We should be able to get the right driver then. Something else I forgot to ask. Did any installation discs come with it?

7. RyuSensei

RyuSensei Private E-2

Sorry, no disks came with the machine. That's what I get for buying used.

Motherboard Chipset: Intel Alviso-G i910GML

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I think I found it. Never had this much trouble before, but never looked for a foreign model either. Set a system restore and then download this driver and install it.. Hopefully this will solve your problem.
    http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/...CE773007C&Status=False&Component=HDA - ALC262

If you have problems with your system after the install, just restore it. Sometimes, the wrong driver wiill cause a problem. Let me know how this works.

9. RyuSensei

RyuSensei Private E-2

As they say in Japan, YOKATA!! Thank Goodness!

My sound is back to normal and my computer is working perfectly.

Thank you so much musksnipe, you are a life saver!

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You're welcome.:wine That was as much a learning process for me as it was for you. :highfive
    And now I have some good sites added to my favorites that will make it easier for the next person who owns a non-americanized PC. Thanks to you. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds