Weak Wireless Signal at close range.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Astroman, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Astroman

Astroman Private E-2

I have a D-Link DI-624. My wireless range is very small. Right now i am 10 feet from the router and i only have 1 to 2 bars signal. I have to be right next to the router to only get 4 bars. I cannot get 5. I've changed some of the wireless signal settings nothing seems to change. And even put it back to factory defaults. Firmware version is up to date. I use to be able to go anywhere in the house, now i'm very limited. I got the idea to take the antenna off of the router and i noticed that the signals did not change. So I thought that maybe the antenna was broken(it doesn't appear to be though). any ideas, or will i have to get a new antenna?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You could consider a booster, though I dont think they help much, though different antennas are usually available. You said you changed settings, have you changed the channel? Its not uncommon for interference from microwaves, phones, tvs and any other electronic devices, so trial and error with channels is the first step. Often 6 is the default channel, so try 1 and then 11.

After writing all this, I remembered this page, which repeats what I covered and some more:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

After following MA's advice, if still problematic would consider looking at purchasing a Linksys ...sounds like the d-link is dying.

4. Major Attitude

Or, as mentioned, try and have all the same hardware, linksys wireless card = linksys router or whatever brand :)

5. Astroman

Astroman Private E-2

nope, still no good, still getting 2 bars at about 10 feet, the router is only about a year old. it works fine on the wired LAN, it's been a long time since it was back in march when it worked like it should.

6. Astroman

Astroman Private E-2

one other thing, i do noticed that about every 6 seconds or so the signal jumps up all the way but only for like 1/10th of a second.

7. TimW

Stupid question before I fall out .....are you sure the antenna are screwed back in tight?

8. Astroman

Astroman Private E-2

as tight as i can get it using my hands.

9. TimW

Last for me tonight ....fingers getting slow ....any way to test your laptop at a friends house with a wireless router? Or have someone come to your house to test? Could rule in/out your wireless card.

10. Major Attitude

I think he has an interference problem and needs a high gain antenna, move any cordless phones away and swap channels.

11. Astroman

Astroman Private E-2

Would that still be the case with interferance even with the laptop touching the router and still only getting 4 out of 5 bars? When I take the antenna off, the signal doesn't go down any, could this mean the antenna isn't working? I do have a DI-524 on the way for a house i'm setting up here soon. I will try that router in the same location, as well as it's antenna on the DI-624 that I have and see if I can find what the problem is.

12. Binxmushu

Binxmushu Private E-2

do you have any phones near your linksys if you have a phone with a 2.4ghz reading then sometimes it effs up your connection..^_^

13. Astroman

Astroman Private E-2

we do have 2 2.4 GHz cordless phones in the house, so i unplugged the main base station, still no luck. I do notice some problems with the firmware though. When I turn the wireless radio off in the router, i can't turn it back on without putting the settings back to factory defaults. Then I have to discard pinging on the WAN side, cause it seems to be prone to Smurf Attacks, (dropped connection).

14. Major Attitude

Actually, 5.8 are the real problems, 2.4 are minor to none.

15. TimW

Might be a stupid question, but do you have filters on the phone lines?

16. Astroman

Astroman Private E-2

Yes, we have DSL. but the problem started long before we got DSL

17. dchristman

dchristman Private E-2

Well sounds like your router to me. Question is, is it a firmware or a hardware issue? I'm not sure can you reload the firmware? Is there a more updated version of firmware? You'll know it's the router for sure if you try and connect wireless on with another pc or laptop. If you can do that and it's not some type of interference there's not much left and you should be able to figure out the problem. Have you connected wireless with another device? I know you hard wired successfully but that still could be your router or interference as mentioned above as your problem.

18. computerguy

computerguy Private E-2

You might be connected to your neighbors wireless

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds