Web page unavailable while working offline message

Discussion in 'Software' started by SlowLearner, Nov 3, 2005.

1. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Private E-2

Everytime I start my computer, I get a message in a little box from internet explorer saying "Web page unavailable while working offline". It pops up around 7 or 8 times no matter how many times I X the box out.

I dont even use Internet Explorer, and have removed it from my system as completely as I can without messing up the OS.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop this message from appearing?

2. Marecs

Marecs Private E-2

Have you checked your msconfig if there is something strange and unusual?

3. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Private E-2

No, I wouldnt really know what to look for while I was messing around in there. All I know about config is its one of the ways I could start the computer in safe mode.

4. zepper

zepper Corporal

Sounds like you have something trying to get to the internet and when it tries, you aren't connected. I'd be looking for malware, spyware, viruses, etc. Though there are legitimate things that try to go on-line on an automated basis, it is better to be safe than sorry.
    . Use the best scanning tools you have available to you: Spybot, Adaware, M$ Malware Removal Tool, M$ Anti-Spyware Tool (the last two are DLable from the M$ site), etc...
    . Make sure you have a good two-way Firewall installed like Sygate Personal Edition or the free version of ZoneAlarm. Once you have DLed one of those and are ready to install it, disable XP's included Firewall as it is next to useless.
    . And use the custom HOSTS file available here- www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm -as it short circuits a lot of attempts by malware or spyware to go online successfully. Plus you don't see a lot of ads that you might otherwise see on the sites you visit - makes for quicker page loading. Be sure to read all the docs available for the HOSTS file to get the best use from it. There is one thing that bothered me until I figured it out. There is a line in the HOSTS file that blocks the free Andale hit counters in eBay listings. It is easy to REMark out that line and get your counters back.

.bh.

5. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Private E-2

A guy emailed me and helped confirm my former suspicion that this might be the cause of some sort of mal ware.... he mentioned something about a M$ site that has programs I can d/l, but didnt leave the link... does anyone have that?

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Can you start Internet Explorer?

If so, click on File and untick Work Offline.

Steve

7. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Private E-2

Yeah, its unticked... but I still receive the message.

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

9. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Private E-2

No good... I've had those programs for about a year now... Ad aware found something last night that was a "high threat" with its newest definitions... but it didnt solve the problem.

I've tried other higher end programs like the pc tools program, it found a ton of stuff, unfortunately you have to have a reg key to delete anything it finds :(

10. Marecs

Marecs Private E-2

Hmm... Have you installed anything which wanted to register you?

11. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Private E-2

After I installed firefox, I started getting the problem. But I had also been messing around with Internet explorer trying to uninstall it as completley as I could without messing up the os.

12. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Not a good idea; IE is so tightly wound into Windows it's only asking for trouble trying to remove it.

Besides, you need it for Windows Updates.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds