Web page unavailable while working offline message

Discussion in 'Software' started by mella, May 19, 2006.

1. mella

mella Private E-2

I keep recieving the same exact same problem.

Everytime I start up the computer an IE box pops up,

"web page unavailable while offline. the web page you requested is not available offline. To view this page, click connect."

It always pops up twice but I just click "x". It also shows up everytime I sign online, before the first web page I want to access. And I cannot access ANY site online unless I click the "connect" button. It's been this way for about 2 months now and it's frustrating because it never goes away. I've made sure the IE "work offline" option is not checked but it continues to happen and it's frustrating because it never goes away.

I've tried countless things to rid the comp of this issue but to no avail. I've noticed that when I started the comp in diagnostic mode the pop up did not appear. It also did not pop up when I logged onto the comp as a "guest".

And I've also noticed that my firewall keeps getting turned off. I've enabled it but if I go back to it it's switched back to being off.

and help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Hi there Mella. :)

I'd bet that a program in the startup folder is trying to go on-line.

First run Ad-Aware and/or Spybot as recommended in the Malware forum stickies plus all it's other suggestions. Then if the problem is still there:

Click on Start>Run>msconfig and on the general tab untick the Load startup group items. If that cures the problem then go back into msconfig and go to the startup tab and see if there is anything you don't reconize. You may need to then to find the culprit by unticking everything except for the top item and reboot to see if the problem has gone away. If it has go back and tick the next item (leaving the first one ticked) and then repeat this til the problem comes back - then the last thing you ticked is the offender. Then retick everything except that item.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds