Web Site works in IE7 perfectly but not working in IE8

Discussion in 'Software' started by Girish_G, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Girish_G

Girish_G Private E-2

Hi friends,

I need help from you. I am facing one problem in one of my site where that website is working fine in IE7 and also it is working with compatibility mode in IE8.

But, i need to make that site work in IE8 without compatibility mode on and also if possible in firebox, google chrome etc.

Please advise how to do this.

With Regards,
    Girish G

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you want help, it might be useful if you posted a link to the problem website; otherwise we'd just be guessing at what might be wrong.

IE & facts from wikipedia:
    IE7 was superseded by Internet Explorer 8 in March 2009
    As of May 2012, estimates of IE7's global market share were 1.5-5%
    It might decrease further because MS is updating users to IE 8 or IE9 if the computer can run that version.
    http://windowsteamblog.com/ie/b/ie/...s-windows-xp-windows-vista-and-windows-7.aspx

3. DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay Private E-2

Agree with this.

Some websites are not actually compatible with the newer browsers, therefore they may not function.

IE8 & IE9 are built to begin supporting HTML5. HTML4 is the language most read when Internet Explorer is running in Compatibility Mode.

May need some patience, or you may need to contact the owner of the website to see if they will make their website compatible for higher versions of browsers.

From what it seems like, it is a compatibility issue more than anything.

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hello Girish_G

Problems with the way a web browser displays or "renders" a web page that are related to compatibility issues, typically
    involve CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) implementation by the browser and Not HTML compatibility.

Any competent browser, even older versions that are not fully compliant with CSS 2.1, will properly display an HTML 4.01 document
    if it is properly structured. Even when the HTML does not fully comply with Web Standards, most browsers will display the
    page as expected.
    XHTML, particularly with a Strict Doctype, is a different issue since there are some structural differences for "well-formedness" and some minor syntax differences.

If really want to make all browsers happy, stick with HTML 4.01 Strict.

Usually, it is the browser's interpretation of CSS that is the problem.
    Older versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer are notorious for CSS rendering bugs and non-compliance.

The most important thing you can do to ensure that a browser will function in Standards Mode instead of Quirks Mode,
    is to use the proper DOCTYPE declaration on the First line of the web document.

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE, if this is a web site that you are developing or modifying and you need help with some issue(s),
    the proper place to go is the Programming Forum.

Fix Your Site With the Right DOCTYPE!

CSS Compatibility and Internet Explorer

Welcome to MG!

5. DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay Private E-2

For the most part, it can be either a problem with HTML or CSS.

This chart is an excellent example of compatibility comparisons: http://www.findmebyip.com/litmus/

Please check it out.

I think it's much easier as a web developer to place in this tag, if I know my HTML is not going to function:
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />
    As always, new web apps are built, so new browser trends continue evolving. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds