Webcam not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Appleseed3d, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Appleseed3d

Appleseed3d Private E-2

Recently I purchsed a computer, running a Radeon 9800 PRO video card, and Windows XP Professional. My webcam was installed on my previous computer (Windows 2000) without a problem. The software installs, but when asked to physically connect the webcam, my computer doesn't pick it up. :mad: I have tried all 8 USB ports. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What is the model of Webcam? You may want to do a "Find new hardware" also to see if it is found.

3. Appleseed3d

Appleseed3d Private E-2

My webcam is a Logitech QuickCam Zoom. I tried "Add New Hardware" and it didn't detect my camera. Any other ideas? My computer is totally brand new, BIOS updated, drivers updated, etc.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Found this info at http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?p...&showalldocuments=0&countryid=19&languageid=1

Camera works on another computer, but not the one you intend to use the camera on.
    Before beginning diagnostics, please make sure you are using the latest release of DirectX. You can download the latest release here.

Logitech QuickCam PC Video Cameras are designed to work on either Universal Host Controller Interface (UHCI) or Open Host Controller Interface (OHCI) implementations of the Universal Serial Bus standard. Intel® and VIA® host controllers mainly use the UHCI implementation, while most other manufacturers use the OHCI implementation. You can determine what type of chipset you are using by checking what is listed in Device Manager.

Click the "Start" button.
    Click on "Settings", then "Control Panel".
    In the Control Panel, double click on the "System" icon. Windows® 2000 users, click on the Hardware Tab.
    Click on the "Device Manager" tab.
    Click on the plus (+) sign next to "Universal serial bus controller". If this entry does not exist, please contact the system manufacturer for help in troubleshooting the USB port(s).
    Verify the type of Host Controller that is listed.
    Problematic Chipsets

Logitech has identified certain chipsets as being problematic to the functioning of the QuickCam cameras.

VIA chipset
    ALI chipset
    SIS chipset

5. Appleseed3d

Appleseed3d Private E-2

Click the "Start" button.
    Click on "Settings", then "Control Panel".
    In the Control Panel, double click on the "System" icon. Windows® 2000 users, click on the Hardware Tab.
    Click on the "Device Manager" tab.
    Click on the plus (+) sign next to "Universal serial bus controller". If this entry does not exist, please contact the system manufacturer for help in troubleshooting the USB port(s).
    Verify the type of Host Controller that is listed.

The entry is there. Thanks alot for the website info, but it doesn't tell me what to do if the entry is listed. :p

My chipset would be ATI I believe, and isn't listed among the problematic chipsets. I also have the latest version of Direct X 9.

My computer operates using Universal Host Controller.

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Open up Hardware in System, and then click on "USB Controllers" and it should say what chipset. Mine is a Via on my laptop.

7. Appleseed3d

Appleseed3d Private E-2

I did a scan of my computer components using EVEREST Home Edition. Under chipset, I came up with the following:

Device Description
    North Bridge: Intel Springdale i865PE

and also:

Device Description
    South Bridge: Intel 82801EB ICH5

Under MotherBoard Chipset it said:

Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865PE

8. Appleseed3d

Appleseed3d Private E-2

This was a shot in the dark. I went to the USB controllers like you suggested, and beside each of them, was an exclamation mark. I figured I would uninstall them, then reinstall them, and voila! It works like a charm. Thanks for all your advice, you led me in the right direction!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds