Webcam stopped working

Discussion in 'Software' started by redbourn, Dec 18, 2013.

1. redbourn

redbourn Private E-2

Wasn't sure whether to put this under software or hardware?

The webcam suddenly stopped working on my W7 PC but still works on my W8 laptop.

It's an MS VX 5000 lifecam

When I plug it in it it's recognized but the drivers won't install (I've downloaded the drivers.exe from MS) and when I click on the lifecam.exe on the short cut I get a message, "There is no camera connected to this computer".

In device manager there's the small exclamation mark and when I try to update the drivers I'm told that I have the latest ones.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Michael

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

3. redbourn

redbourn Private E-2

I worked through the links but nothing helped :)

I uninstalled the drivers and that didn't help.

I uninstalled the webcam using Revo (had to use Hunter mode) and deleted everything in the registry - "lifecam".

Ran the driver exe file and that completed OK but still got, "there is no camera connected to this computer.

Went to device manager and choose "browse for driver on my computer I get (see attachment) and all are said to be digitally signed

I chose the latest one and got a message, "the driver has been installed but you must reboot your system".

Feeling very optimistic I rebooted my pc but am now back to the same message ...

"There is no camera connected to your computer :-(

Attached Files:

4. redbourn

redbourn Private E-2

Well I just tried another webcam and it has the same problem.

There is a message though, "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)".

I just ran hi-jack this and it found nothing.

I will run a couple of couple of programs to check for "malicious software".

5. redbourn

redbourn Private E-2

BTW - although the camera isn't being found, somebody just called me on Skype, and the microphone in the webcam is better found and is functioning well.

6. redbourn

redbourn Private E-2

usbvideo.sys was the problem. It was unsigned and after I replaced it both cameras immediately worked.

Replacing the file is problematical because it's a protected file but I found this on the web.

takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\drivers\usbvideo.sys

cacls C:\Windows\System32\drivers\usbvideo.sys /G michael:F

Michael

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  7. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

I am happy it sorted out :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds