Webcan software help

Discussion in 'Software' started by larr, May 6, 2013.

1. larr

larr Private E-2

I'm looking for software that will allow me to view a webcam at home on my pc while I'm away but also allows the webcam at home to be able to view and hear me without anyone at home. What I am trying to do is view my pets while I'm gone and need something I can let stay on so I can log on and see them without any intervention from anyone at home. I need to be able to log on without having to touch the pc at home. I hope I explained this correctly.thanks

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

There are a few options, freeware Dorgem, Ispy Connect or YawCam or payware webcam xp.
    If your using a PC you need to put a static IP on the PC & leave it on all the time.
    Port forward whatever port the camera needs to the PC with the webcam.
    A service like DYDNS or No-IP so you can find your PC on the Internet.

I have IP based cameras and an app on my phone for this reason.

3. larr

larr Private E-2

thank you for your help.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It would be easier to get something like a IP camera and use that. You can get them as cheap as $48 like the DLink DCS-930L IP camera, or can go higher if you want something that will allow Pan Tilt Zoom.

I use a Trendnet TV-IP751WIC Cloud camera inside our house. There is both a Android & iOS app for it.

The problem with using a computer built in camera, or USB camera connected to say a desktop, you would have limited range on most of the lower end cameras that are out there.

With a IP camera that uses wifi, it gives you portability, that you can relocate it anywhere you need, and only wire that is attached to it, is the power cable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds