Website logo next to website name in the tab?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jono Roto, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Jono Roto

Jono Roto Private E-2

Hi all,
    I have a little bug with my internet explorer 8: the website logos that appears before the website name on the tab or in favourites, or before the address in the address bar are mixed up and change around. It only happens to sites that are in my favourites, and only a few of them. For example the home page for major geeks currently has the windows logo next it in the tab, the address bar and in my favourites. But any other page at Major Geeks and its the usual icon. I know that it is only a small thing, but one of them happens to be the my banks signing in page. Probably just a coincidence, but my worry is whether a corruption to IE8 has occured as a result of a virus.
    This only started yesterday and doesn't affect other users on the computer. I have ran Norton 360 and Spybot who say no virus. I have deleted the sites from my favourites. Even after deleting the icons are still wrong if I go back to the page. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled IE8.
    I would be very grateful on people's opinions on whether this could be a security issue or any ideas on how to rectify, or whether it's not worth worrying about!!
    Thanks very much for any feedback.
    Jono Roto :)

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't have a solution for IE because I don't use it but if you want to google around for ideas, the little pictures are call favicons.

Edit: Just to add--this used to be a more common problem in FF and was just a fluke not malicious. I haven't seen it occur in a while. Again, not sure about IE.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  3. Jono Roto

Jono Roto Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks for the information Sach2.
    I have indeed done the Google and can report back to any interested party that this problem is inherited from IE7 and is not malicious. I can also report a simple remedy- delete the offending FAVICON (makes all the difference when you know the lingo) from your temporary internet files and the correct one will reload when next visited. DADaaaaa!!
    :wave
    Farewell all..
    Jono Roto

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks for posting back. I also googled the problem a few minutes ago and only found one link for IE8 that also suggested clearing temporary internet files as the solution. Good to know that it is just a quirk and that the IE7 fix works in IE8 as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds