Website"Memory" Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Dec 8, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hey all,

I crossed this particular bridge so-long ago that I don't recall what it was/is that I did, and need to do again, to get the result I want.

When I go to login/sign-in to my online banking/bank account, just as I'm sure is the case with most people and their online banking, I have layers of security to pass through (3 or 4 [or 5?] layers in my case).

It used to be that my computer "remembered" (stored) one bit of data, so that when I was indeed attempting to access my account from my computer, the website could/would recognize it (recognize my PC).

Now it doesn't recognize my PC, and prompts me every time (screenshot attached) adding a step that I have to perform that I used to not have to, and it's annoying as hell.

I had never got this to work correctly in my Chrome browser (which I've only used for a couple/few months), but I had it working for several years in my Firefox browser, but now it's not - and I would simply like to get it straightened-out again, please...

Thanks in advance,
    g...

Attached Files:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I am not sure what your situation is, but I do know that if I run temp cleaners such as CCLeaner it will remove the cookies and make me go through security answers to get back into my banking website.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hey thanks TW...hah, yeah, I'm not quite sure what my "situation" is, either......

Though seriously, I'm on a PC here ... which no one else accesses/uses (I am not on any sort of a "Public" machine) ... I have no problem with selecting the "This is a personal computer. Register it" option (which is the way it was "set" before my problem started here).

I do use CCleaner, however, I have the box for cookies UN-checked (I go-in, and individually select which to keep, and which to purge).

I think where the confusion comes-in, for me anyway, is the difference between "Cache", and "History", "Temp Files" and "Temp Internet Files" (etc.?) ...

I'm only guessing, but I think clearing (cleaning/deleting) some of these places is causing the problem.

And again, this is happening in both Chrome and Firefox ... it never had worked for me in Chrome (setting the 'PC/Register it' option) - but it was working perfectly in Firefox until recently.

Hey, I wonder if the addition of "Roboform" (which I am struggling with trying to learn) could be causing this??

Thanks again, and in advance......

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes, it could well be RoboForm. But see if not cleaning temps and using CCleaner helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds