Weird characters in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ihatebillgates, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Ihatebillgates

Ihatebillgates Private E-2

[​IMG]
    The picture is pretty much self explanatory, strange characters appeared all of the sudden when I restarted, can someone tell me please what's wrong? Last thing I did before this problem was run Avira scan and installing Alcohol %52. Obviously I can't run my computer like this, I entered safe mode and took the screenshot. I'm installing Kaspersky as I typed this, it seems it's the 2nd time Avira ruins my computer.

Running Windows XP SP3, formatted not long ago.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do a system restore back to just before you did the Avira scan and installed Alcohol.

3. Ihatebillgates

The problem is I can't read the windows characters, I can't find the windows restore options and if I did I wouldn't know where to click and all that ...

4. Ihatebillgates

OK, I think I've figured out... no idea how it happened but it seems my C:\Windows\Fonts folder is completely empty.

Where could I find the basic fonts in one pack or something?

5. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Do you have the XP disc ?

6. Ihatebillgates

So I thought I solved it, I downloaded a shell theme that comes with some nice fonts, installed the fonts, selected the theme and voila, everything back to normal. Except I restart, and the Fonts folder is empty again.

Yeah, but it doesn't seem to have the option to repair Windows.

-----
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that when I was able to install the fonts and all I tried to restore the system to a previous checkpoint, but the option was disabled so I have no checkpoints from before this happened.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm on Win7 but in your Control Panel do you have Fonts listed as a separate option? If you click it do you have an option on the side for Font Settings or similar. I have an option within settings to use default.

8. Ihatebillgates

Yeah, the option is there as a folder, but nothing is inside.

9. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

10. Ihatebillgates

I've followed the steps there and the fonts seem to install fine, but all it takes is for me to exit that folder and go back into it for all the fonts to disappear. I could try a system repair booting from the CD but given that I'm not sure my disc has that option and the fact that if I restart I have to reinstall and configure the fonts all over again I'll try that as a last resort.

11. Ihatebillgates

Reading on forums I found a guide to modify the registry which apparently solved the problem, but I couldn't do it because it came a point where I had to go to Windows NT -> Current version -> Fonts, but the Fonts key (if those things are called keys) was not there. Could this be the cause of the problem?

12. Ihatebillgates

Fixed, it was the missing Fonts key.

13. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

So you just put a blank key [HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts] in the registry? Did you have to replace the font files or did they just appear?

Thanks.

14. Ihatebillgates

Yes, I followed a guide since I'm not very familiar with changing the register, I added that key, restarted and at first it was still with weird characters, but I figured it was because I had to install fonts. I went to the fonts folder and it was empty and just when I was about to copy some into it I saw the regular ones appear out of nowhere.

Thanks everybody for the help.

15. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Well now you've finally got that sorted give yourself a pat on the back and then give your PC a bloody good scan and clean out ! ;)

16. klabbe_f

klabbe_f Private E-2

Thanks for your help!

This is how I solved this issue in detail based on your help.

I used a healthy laptop with Windows XP to extract all fonts (some had disappeared). I needed to copy via cmd line since explorer didn't allow copying of the fonts. I copied to an USB memory on the F-drive.

> copy c:\Windows\Font\*.* F:\tmp

Export the registry setting from the regedit to a .reg file which can be executed on the target (weird) machine. Export following key to the USB memory: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

Take the USB to the weird machine, copy the fonts via cmd to the same directory:

> copy F:\tmp\*.* c:\Windows\Font\

Double click on the .reg file.

Restart the computer and everything is as it should again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds