Weird comp probs

Discussion in 'Software' started by glitchgnat, Feb 22, 2005.

1. glitchgnat

glitchgnat Private E-2

:eek: All my troubles began with two strange programs which i wanted to kill; one was called softthebat.exe and the other changed its name everytime it tried to access internet, the only way i could recognize it was because it never spelled anything, it was always gibberish.
    Anyways, after deleting lots of the gibberish registry entries (it was calling itself some sort of search bar in internet explorer) i found this evil looking folder called AxisVga in my application settings or something like that. This folder had softthebat and a gibberish file in it, so i deleted the folder and the gibberish program stopped accessing the internet and changing reg, and softthebat stopped accessing to.

ok, all this is great until one day i am playing dark reign 2 (an older game) which i have had and played for a few years now and it has never given me probs; well all of a sudden it starts going super slow and very jerky. This keeps happening even after restart and noodling around. Whats more i discover that when this jamming occures loads of random processes in my task manager are going bezerk :confused: thats first problem

Then i lose my internet, then get it back, then lose it again, (all through this process I am restarting and messing around with my anti spyware stuff and firwall and whatnot) this situation seems to have stabalized a bit now. :eek:

Next, the computer takes very long time to shut down, it will log off and save my settings and then will say 'windows and shutting down' and just hang there for about a minute and a half and then shut down. Another problem related to this is the erratic log on speeds. Sometimes the comp will log on and be ready to go in under thirty seconds, other times it freezes all together for a few seconds and continues to boot up, plus the fact that programs don't regularly ask for internet access, (for instance sometimes when i boot up BigFix will ask for internet access and other times it won't :confused: )

Lastly and most disturbingly :mad: my windows theme has suddenly changed from windows xp style to windows classic and i can't switch it back.

HELP :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: HELP

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

this should have been posted on the spyware specific board. i'd try running all of the stuff there, and then report what did, and didn't work. as for the windows theme, have you reverted your drive back, and see if that help? my guess is that you have alot of stuff going on, stuff running in the background etc. (too much starting up), as well as spyware, and/or virus? - sos

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 <-- Sticky: READ ME FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR SUPPORT: Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal

3. glitchgnat

glitchgnat Private E-2

How do i revert my drive back? I already tried to revert back 'to last known configuration that worked'

and also; i'm only getting an internet connection when i boot up in safe mode.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds