weird computer things

Discussion in 'Software' started by quartermilerocket, Sep 1, 2006.

1. quartermilerocket

quartermilerocket Private First Class

Good evening everyone,

When I got online today at around 4:30 p.m some 7 hours ago most of my favorite web pages (and I tried at least 20 of them) :confused: failed to load "couldn't find server" I tried this for the first 20 minutes nothing I turned it off for about 5-10 minutes and unplugged my modem still nothing, I tried a last time for 30 minutes guess what? nothing.

This time I shut everything down until some 15 minutes ago and all my favorite web pages loaded without fail :confused: to bring people up to speed, real quick, 4 days ago I had an issue with my home page not loading all the way I got that figured out that my block ads and block popups on my norton web assistant were checked on my home page.

When I get home today for some ungodly reason THEY ARE CHECKED:eek: and not only this most of the pages that were not loading ARE ALSO CHECKED, and even more amazing is that when I went to uncheck the pages they STILL DIDN'T LOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:. Does anybody have any idea why this happened today and to prevent this again if possible:confused: any input is appreciated I mean why would at least 20 random webpages not load up?

Thanks

James

2. djmagic9

djmagic9 Private E-2

number 1 your using norton uuugghhhhh go with something a little less .......how you say ...controlling because as you know norton considers you safe when you have no possibility whatsoever to connect to the net :)
    and are you on dialup? if so get rid of it cause you can get broadband most likley for a lower price if your going with a major carrier like aol now as far as dialup its slow tellit to go away treat it like a dog and make it fetch a bone you hust threw into a lava pit or something so if thats the case then its most likely your connections are timing out (happens all the time w aol)
    now if your on broadband check (if you havent already) to see if theirs a short in a ethernet cord or something similar and check to see when it happens if your still even connectedto the net cause sometimes if the station is far from your house it can be a perfect day where you are but htye will be having the heck knocked out of them at the same time oh and for a safer surfing experience use firefox its free and very effective
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

3. quartermilerocket

Hello djmagic9 thanks for your response, yeah I have heard not so favorable things about norton, but I've got about 4 months until my subscription expires and then I'll look closely at changing it. I have roadrunner high speed I hope it doesn't happen again:rolleyes:

James

4. djmagic9

djmagic9 Private E-2

well i will say when it leaves that hd you will notice a huge jump in system performance (similar to a new processor....and ram...hd..mobo..yeah itll be like a new comp):)

5. quartermilerocket

Hey that sounds good :D

6. djmagic9

djmagic9 Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds