Weird Netbook Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hyphen, May 17, 2012.

1. Hyphen

Hyphen Private First Class

I'm in Florida, where we experience an awful lot of thunderstorms. Often times, my place will experience a brief power outage. I have a netbook that is always plugged into an AC adapter and plugged into a wall, I use it on a desk as if it was a desktop computer. When these outages occur, the power will come back on and the netbook will say that it is not on battery, when it is.

I've tried plugging it into different outlooks, rebooting it, doing everything to shift around variables. Nothing works. Then, if we experience another brief outage, sometimes it'll just begin working once again, and the battery will be shown as charging until the NEXT electrical outage. Why is this and what can I do about it?

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

It is usually best to remove the battery once fully charged, and store it untill you need to use it, and re-charge maybe's once a month.

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Well my little tip is Let the Battery Drain it self keep it on till the battery dies then give it a full charge.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If the power goes off a lot, do not plug it directly into the wall.
    Use a surge suppressor. Something like this [​IMG]

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I agree with plodr you need a surge protector.

It sounds like the AC adapter is switching into some form of protection mode,many have a built in surge protector which will reset itself naturally when the AC become stable again.

Another problem could be its been damaged by the cut/surge and your AC adapter or computer is now faulty.

Even if you have a surge protector my advice is to disconnect from the AC and internet when there's a thunderstorm over head,also don't reconnect your computer until AFTER the power has been reconnected.

If this isn't possible due to the amount of thunderstorms you may want to look into a good quality uninterrupted power supply or UPS,they contain a battery that will power your computer during a power cut,it's not as safe as disconnecting it but offers another layer of protected when used with a dedicated surge protector.

6. Hyphen

Hyphen Private First Class

The AC adapter is actually plugged into a surge protector. I have a surge protector on each of the outlets in this room, I should have probably mentioned it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds