Weird sound problem on new pc ;;

Discussion in 'Software' started by Squibble, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

Hay i would just like to say thank u to anyone who reads this and has any ideas, been trying to fix this for about week now, using my skill, mates ideas and some ideas from this forum too.

Ok the start bought a new pc with no operating system on it, had my own legal copy of microsoft xp so decided to use that to save me some bucks.

P35 Neo/ G33 Nep Series MS-7360 (v1.x) Mainboard is heart of it.

Loaded windows then started to install driver cds that came with it. motherbourd and sound and network. There was a error during the sound install at that bit cant rember exact words.

No sound but was concentrating on getting network up and then updating windows. Eventually found i had no sound at all. So i tryed to install the drivers for sound again from cd and form updated website ones and it would crash during install wizzard. after looking at forums it says that UAA Hi-Def Bus driver in device mangers conflicts, so i disabled it uninstalled it and i was able to install my realtek drivers with no problem. it asked me to restart.

During that thou when pc rebooted got cd read error and asked to ctrl alt del to restart this happens like 3 times in row before actually loading properly. This problem doesnt occure at moment and hasnt for a while but might be significant.

k loaded up and went into realtek sound enveriment that tests stuff like suround sound and left and right speaker. This worked perfectly i hear sound i thought great. I then load up media player and it says there is no sound device, no windows sounds at all either. In the Sounds and audio devices on volume page it says no audio device but on the audio tag in which u should be allowed to selecr your audio device its all faded out and i cant select anything. Plus i cant access the volume control "the audio device supported by this application is not detected. this application will exit. I have fully updated windows with all updates SP2 and so on.

I have tried recenty driver updates, i have tried taking settings from old pc and seeing if those would get it to work and nope. So then i decided well its motherbourd i never had a motherbourd to work 100% last one i had network didnt work so thought its just the sound so i bought a sound card. Creative sound blaster audigy. Plug it in installed drivers from cd + updated to recent ones from net and expected this to sholve my problem.

The same thing happened in sound options it on no audio device selected with no option to select one. in device manger it says that its working properly no conflicts. but still no windows sounds, sound control or media player.

Weird thing is on one of games i installed Diablo 2 old 10 year game it says no sound. But a recent game World of warcraft my sound works perfectly in there but still in control panel sound it says there no audio device on volume page. but on hardware page just like before my sound card is there and says its working properly.

So ya No system sounds, no media player control settings sounds, but sound in one game. And no way i can see to get windows to select my audio device because the sounds and devices audio page for defalt sound device is grayed out and cant select anything. Even thou in device manger it says sound card is working properly and it works in one game but not in all windows stuff o.o.

This problem has stumped me and i have tryed many of the solutions that others have been sujested on this forum about realtek and stuff but none of this has worked. Sorry the Wall of text if anyone has any ideas before i decided to formate pc and try from scratch. this is new pc only week old kinda want it work :). if i missed out any vital info ya need or screen prints of certain things to help just say and i will do it asap.

Thank u for any help ya can give on this matter

I have tried uninstalling and re installing and no joy.

2. kestrel1

kestrel1 Private E-2

Check in the BIOS for any sound options. If you have the sound card plugged in, try disabling the on-board sound in the BIOS.

3. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

k in bios i have tried "HD audio controller" enabled and disabled and nothing changes.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Is the Windows Audio service running?
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find Windows Audio
    Open up Windows Audio by double clicking
    Make sure it is running, if not, start it.

BIOS sound must be enabled for on-board sound... Disabled for an add-on card

Chipset
    Is the motherboard drivers installed/updated? This can also cause a problem with audio and other devices.
    The chipset drivers are needed to allow the OS to correctly ID the onboard hardware. This allows the right driver to install. The chipset drivers will allow Ethernet, USB, and Audio to be installed correctly.

I would make sure windows Audio service is running, make sure you left the BIOS setting correct, download and install the newest chipset drivers for your board.

Then, if you don't have sound:
    Follow these steps all the way through;
    1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers.
    4) Click on the Properties tab.
    5) Select all sound devices listed here and click the Remove button. (Do not remove Legacy or Codecs)

Uninstall the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. When you do this, you should be able to install the Realtek drivers.
    Go into Device Manager, under the System folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. (Do not re-boot yet)

KB888111
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer. To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

Install your driver, then do a complete shut down and re-boot.

5. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

Windows audio in the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

Status started.

When through unistalled all run those cleaner programs all stuff installed realtek stuff.

In Realtek HD sound effect Manger in 3D audio demo i do get test suround sound working though speakers and in the audio I/o back panel line out (Realtek HD Audio output) that tests left right speaker i hear sound.

However:

Volume control isnt there
    i get "There are no active devices available to install mixer devicers, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click add hardware"
    i dont see how or what its wanting me to do there follow that path but its not really there.

Still in control panel, sounds and audio devices volume + audio tags say no devices and still grayed out so i cant select. but under hardware the audio device is there and say working.

I only get sound in that test area, no windows sounds media player or stuff.
    As this part was onbourd only i made sure in bios that audio control thing was enabled.

As realtek still didnt work as intended still as before follwed steps but this time touse my sound card i bought. made sure in bios audio thing was disabled so that it doesnt use onbourd.

All installed and updated, but same problem as before cant select it in sounds and audio devices, but still as before sound works in world of warcraft for some strange reason.... so i know speakers work and i can get sound. but why it wont let me have windows sound or sound to other games or msn or media player or anything lol...

So ya this be weird one. Thank u for info and i followed it to the letter and this is the results, anyone got idea of next step... or do i need to resort to formating the pc ; ;

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

7. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

the new sound card works same way as the onbourd did, not working with windows sounds media player and such but works in test area or works in world of warcraft.

if it was problem with the devices i.e onbourd or the sound card there would be no sound what so ever but i do get sound on those couple things.

If i cant fix this i will formate my pc tomorrow sunday, install windows then install motherbourd drivers , then install sound card drivers i bought ignoring onbourd, other than that i have tried loads stuff and ya its got me stumped.

thank u for your help and time thou musksnipe. :)

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It's possible your mixer settings are not right. Some cards mimic the Windows volume control, meaning you can get to the settings through the icon in the task bar. Others have a separate icon, either in your programs menu or in the control panel. If any settings are set to digital, change it and see if that helps.

9. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

volume control on toolbar bottom right dont work says "The audio device supported by this appllication is not detected. the application will exit."

in the start>programes>accessories>entertainment>volume control dont work and says

"There are no active devices available to install mixer devicers, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click add hardware"

now i go to control panel but i dont see how this has anything to do with printer icon to install these also i have looked though Add hardware as to likely things that it could mean to try to install and i am stumped. But from my understanding volume control would be linked to what ever default device is being used by the computer for sound. and as there isnt one, because i cant select it in the sounds and audio devices i think it dont know what to do.

I cant see this being progame with the sound card, onbourd sound because then i wouldnt get sound at all from anything. Dont think its my copy of windows xp because if it was the windows updates would fixed those. Only thing i have is there conflict between a part of windows, this motherbourd and realtek that doesnt like working on xp for some reason maybe? and its been built to work on vista? no clue tbh that shouldnt be a problem and all things should be backward compatable with previous operating system, so ya lol its just typical that i get major problems with a new pc lol. Nothing is never perfect ; ;

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Your symptoms don't really match the "downgrade from Vista to XP audio syndrome" but this is a new fix for it, that I ran across this morning. It's possible that when SP3 is released, your problem will be fixed also.
    This mentions Realtek but several HD audio drivers are being affected. You will have to re-enable your onboard sound first.
    1. Remove "Audio device on High Definition Audio Bus"
    2. Download from Microsoft the KB835221 hotfix and install it
    3. Restart the system, and XP will automatically detect the devices
    4. After this you should be able to install Realtek drivers.

11. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

in add and remove progames it shows that KB835221 is installed which is the High definition audio driver package it also has KB888111 there but no option to remove and in the run reedit in windows update that file isnt there under sp3, but also cant see kb835221 there either.

Um so ya i have installed this hot fix installed realtek stuff removed the sound cards stuff changed settingd in bios back to onbourd. and its the same...

I get sound in the realtek HD sound effect manger like testing left right speaker and surround sound, but yet again still no windows sounds, media player and the volume control still says same stuff. and the sounds and audio devices still wont let me select anything on the audio tab.....

/cry

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The last thing I can think of is to run SFC, if you have your XP disc handy.
    Goto Start>Run and type cmd.exe
    In the command window type sfc /SCANNOW
    That will make sure your windows files are all intact and uncorrupted.

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Goto Add/Remove Programs. Under Windows Setup find the Multimedia option. Open it to see exactly what is setup on your machine. If the volume control is checked it is installed. If not it isn't. You can add it by checking it's box. DO NOT change any other feature anywhere (unless you want to add or remove it). Click Apply, (you'll need your Windows disc).
    If the Volume is checked already, go back to the Control Panel and open Multimedia. On the Audio tab make sure that the box next to Show Volume Control In Task Bar is checked. Click OK.
    If the speaker does not come up at once then you have a software conflict. You may have to uninstall the soundcard software (through Add/Remove) and try again.

You might have a bad or corrupt winmm.dll. You should be able to extract this single file from your Windows CD and replace it.

14. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

Ok i did the sfc/SCANNOW it scaned and didnt say anything when it finished dont know if thats good or bad.

For other thing i dont know but i cant find what ya talking about,

i go to control panel> add and remove progams

nothing under there thats called multymedia options or windows set up.

u got 4 tabs at side change and remove programes (default tab)
    add new progammes
    add/remove windows componates
    and set progame/access and defaults

looked under windows componates one
    windows componates wizzard
    no multymedia or volume control there ticked or unticked

and last bit about corrupt winmm.dll not sure how i would go about replacing that if thats something i should try.

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

1) SFC doesn't tell you what it is repairing, unless you check it's log. (I have forgotten what it is named and where it is) :eek: It did it's job, if you didn't receive any error messages.

2) I pulled that multimedia fix from somewhere and and I also checked it out on my wife's XP machine and had the same luck as you following it, but I thought MAYBE you would have that multimedia set-up. (and I think where you checked was the right place)

3) I've never done this either. But this method should work. You can download that .dll from here:
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?winmm
    There is a tutorial here:
    unzip and install the files
    You shouldn't need to buy their program. You can use 7Zip to unzip the files and it should work the same way.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/7-Zip_d4603.html

16. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

ok downloaded winmm.dll

right click>7-zip>extract files...

current path ways select also ask before overwriting and changed extract to:

C:\Windows\System32

i say yes to replace

error occures that i cannot delete the existing winmm.dll ; ;

Just like to say thank u for all this help its very much appricated

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try renaming winmm. dll to something like win_mm.dll and then placing the new in that folder, then restart your PC.

18. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

downloaded winmm.dll 64KB

one in C:windows/system32 172KB

Tryed changing name to win_mm.dll that worked but couple seconds later its back there again...

i can then delete it the 172KB oringinal file but after 3-4 secs its back there again no msg on screen.

If i quickly copy the downloaded 64KB one in there just after deleating the orginal it changes to 172KB within couple secs.

No change what so ever and even after all that i cant do the extract files to that location because of that error.

/cry

19. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm out of ideas. This may help.
    Scenario One
    You DO have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

Carry out the following steps;
    * Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
    * Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
    * Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
    * Right-click “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click “Update Driver”
    * Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click Next
    * Choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and click Next
    * Click “Have Disk”
    * Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
    * Select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click Next
    * Wait for the software to install then click Finish

Scenario Two
    You DON’T have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

Carry out the following steps;
    * Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
    * Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
    * Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
    * Go to the Control Panel and run “Add Hardware”
    * When the Add Hardware Wizard appears, click Next
    * Wait for it to search for new hardware
    * Choose Yes, I have already connected the hardware and click Next
    * Scroll all the way down and select “Add a new hardware device”, click Next
    * Choose “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)”, click Next
    * Select “Show All Devices” and click Next
    * Click “Have Disk”
    * Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
    * Under Model, select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator”, click Next
    * To start installing the drivers, click Next
    * Wait for the software to install then click Finish

Your audio device should now be recognized in Sounds and Audio Devices

20. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator was there followed instruction and everything still same and i cant select the audio device; ;

if i reformated my pc do u think it would sholve problem? dont want to reformate go through hastle of installing all if it wouldnt help... ; ;

and cheers for all help

21. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If there is a hardware problem with your sound card, sound chip, or motherboard, no, a reinstall won't help.
    Do you have your motherboard manual? If not you can download it here:
    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=manual&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1215

Did you reinstall your chipset driver when I asked you to, near the beginning of this thread?
    When you go into Control Panel, are there two audio icons?
    One would be Sounds and Audio devices and the other The Realtek (or Azalia) Sound Effect Manager.
    Have you tried the settings in both of them. (I'm not clear if you did or if you just tried the HD Sound Manager)

If you decide to reinstall XP, I would install your chipset before anything, remove the Sound Card (I don't think you ever did mention what that is), make sure your BIOS is set for onboard sound (Enabled) and make sure you reformat.

Attached Files:

22. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

sound blaster audigy se, motherbourd drivers was first thing i installed after putting windows on this pc has been updated and none of stuff we have done has rolled that back to nothing i dont tihnk, we just touched sound.

Yes i have both of those realtek one tests the speakers left right surround, I do get sound in this. and in the sound and audio device thou it says no device and cant select a default one so ya dont know ;;

23. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Just to be sure.
    Make sure onboard sound is enabled in BIOS
    Go back to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Windows Audio service.
    Right click it and choose properties. Make sure it is set to automatic and the start box is checked.
    Uninstall your sound devices in Device Manager. (Do not remove Codecs or Legacy)
    Re-boot your PC.
    Install the Realtek audio drivers from your disc. Re-boot again.
    Sound?
    I have already given you all I know to do. After searching around for similar problems, the cures were the same I gave you. Either you may have made a mistake along the way, or you have a hardware problem, or you may have to reinstall your OS to get it set right again. But if you do make sure you are configured either for onboard or your sound card. I would remove the sound card and work at getting the Realtek working first then installing the card.
    I don't know any other things to give you.

24. Squibble

Squibble Private E-2

Hay i be back after reformating my hard drive. Iinstalled drivers for mothebourd then network. When it came to sound realtek during install u get promt to install new detected hardware "Realtek High Definition Audio" i tried this and it failed "the devices co-installer is invallid" so i followed instruction we used before to remove realtek and all componts from pc and tried installing again, got same promt but i ingored it this time and just followed the driver install that asked to restart pc.

As pc turns off i get the windows turn off music playing on my speekers, massive grin appears on my face :)

Everything is working good now just in process of getting windows updates and installing all my stuff again. Just like to thank you once more for all the help and time u have given me over last couple days.

WOOT MUSIC :)

25. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That's great. It's too bad we couldn't get it resolved without the re-install, but at least you know it is not hardware and all it cost was a little time. Now, if you decide to install the sound card again, be sure to set a restore point before installing it, get the model # from the card, and search for proper installation instructions, which you can probably find at the SoundBlaster site.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds