Welcome Screen & Fast User Switching disabled

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steve83, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Steve83

Steve83 Private E-2

I'm trying to help a friend set up a new (used) laptop (yeah, the blind leading the blind), and I'm trying to follow the EXCELLENT writeups here for preventing malware. But when I added a limited account & then tried to edit the logon behavior, I got a message that "Client Services for NetWare has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall Client Services for Netware." But I can't find NetWare in Add/Remove Programs or All Programs, or any settings for it to enable the Welcome screen. I found it in My Computer>Manage>Services & Apps>Services and the status is "Stopped", but "Uninstall" isn't an option there. The description says it enables printing on NetWare networks - do I need it? Why was it installed to begin with? I searched here for "disabled welcome", but didn't get any relevant results.

Thanks

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Check here:
    [​IMG]
    In this list:
    You may see something for Novell Client / Netware like in the picture above.

If you do, you can highlight it, and press the Uninstall button.

You should now be able to enable fast user switching again

3. Steve83

Steve83 Private E-2

You nailed it! I'd never have thought to look there.

Any idea why it was installed to begin with? This is a Dell laptop running XP Pro 2002.

4. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

I'm guessing its former owner made use of Novell Client. It doesn't come installed with Windows by default. It also may have been part of a domain.

5. Steve83

Steve83 Private E-2

He said he only powered it on once and found it wouldn't run the (I'm guessing OLD) software he needed, which is why he sold it. That was about the extent of his computer knowledge - he couldn't have set up a network.

Anyway, I'm getting close... But I'm trying to set up user accounts for each person who'll have access to it, and I want to make each person's My Documents folder (& subs) private from all other users. I think I've done it before on other systems, but I can't find it on this one. I got the admin account's documents private during the password setup. But the other accounts just set the password & go back to the user account menu - no option to make folders private. The Help & Support tutorial says to open Properties in My Computer & set privacy on the Sharing tab of Properties, but I only get a General tab.
    This is WinXP32bPro2002SP3

Here are a few more shotgun questions:
    - is there a quick way to transfer Sound settings from one user account to another?
    - how about IE Security custom level settings?
    - IE Advanced settings?

6. Steve83

Steve83 Private E-2

Found it: I right-clicked My Documents at the top of the Folder (tree) explorer bar and got a Sharing tab to make it private.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds