welcome to microsoft all in one DVD explanation

Discussion in 'Software' started by sicari, Mar 24, 2009.

1. sicari

sicari Private E-2

Could someone please tell me what is the difference between retail, OEM, and VLM are???

Attached Files:

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

a quick answer is
    retail : is a separate purchase over the counter not tied to any machine can be put on any machine
    OEM : comes with that machine sold from the manufacture as a part of the purchase

VLM : can be put on multiple machines up to the amount you purchased the license for

There is probably a more in depth answer and if you hang on someone will probably post it

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  3. sicari

sicari Private E-2

Thanks for that, is there anything differnet in the OS eg extra features things like that

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Ive had all three versions and I haven't noticed any. However on the OEM version you have to get tech support from the computer vendor microsoft will not assist you on OEM versions..

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

No. It's just the licensing that is different.

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Retail is directed at the average computer user. It comes in a flashy box and is the most expensive version per copy.

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) is directed at computer builders and small companies. However, the OEM license for XP (not sure if it has been changed since) says that the following people can install XP OEM:

• Computer builders
    • System retailers
    • Companies
    • Software Installers
    I have highlighted the last point as it means that anyone can buy XP OEM software as long as they install it themselves. Thus anyone that can install software can install XP OEM. Please remember that this may have changed since XP.

VLM (Volume License) software is directed at large companies or corporations. It is designed so that the company gets a few CDs with the OS on, and they can install it on a fixed number of computers using the same license key. They can then pay to extend the number of computers the OS is installed on using the same seril number. It is not directed at computer builders or resellers as they need to provide a unique serial key for each end user.

Disclaimer: Please bear in mind that I am not a lawyer or affiliated in any way with Microsoft or any of their associates or child companies. These figures are quoted from memory and should not be relied upon.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds