We're sick of iTunes Store error.

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

For over 3 days we have been trying to solve an iTunes Store error.

The error is
    Well Apple, iTunes store and whoever else is involved, the network connection is fine. We can buy one track at a time from our credit dollars, but cannot download the 274 tracks we have already paid $$$ for.

Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5520G, Vista Home Premium (no SP1 installed), 2 gigs RAM, and enough free hard drive space

It happened in the middle of a 500 track paid download. :cry :(

Google is full of identical errors over many years, but no working solutions that we could find. We tried lots. Loaded new version of iTunes, Quicktime. Renamed HOSTS file and more. Rebooted laptop over 3 days. I haven't reset Modem / Router yet, just unplugged it, waited, and fired it up again. I have been avoided setting the modem /router back to its' defaults as it all works when we buy 1 track. :confused

Unable to check for Purchases.
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q="Unable+to+check+for+purchases"&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

The network connection was reset.
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q="The+network+connection+was+reset."&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
    Need lots of help. Anyone have / had a similar problem, and fixed it?

Took the laptop to the Apple privately owned store in Cairns yesterday and it crashed at the same place on thier business wireless network. We use a wired network (thanks Terry for your help). Apparently Apple only have 1 Apple owned store in Australia (in Sydney).

Bazza

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

^Yet another reason why I stay away from Apple.

I wish I could be of some help, but I've never (and will never) use(d) iTunes, so I have no experience with it.

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Have you checked your internet connection? Connecting through a router etc?

4. bigbazza

Yes. We are able to connect to iTunes Store and buy single downloads as I mentioned originally. We, however, are not able to download our 274 tracks in credit. It just crashes with the error as in my post #1. Bazza

===

5. bigbazza

Bump. Anyone? Pleeeeeez. Pleeeeeeeez. :cry :( :confused Bazza

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Bazza, I don't know if this will help in your situation, but what about using a download manager?

7. bigbazza

Thanks musky, but it won't help. You have to use iTunes, as we have paid for them already, and have to use their download link which crashes every time. :cry I am trying to convince #2 son that we should un-install iTunes (latest version), run various Registry cleaners and then re-install again.

He is worried that they will lose their 9800+ songs. I haven't been able to convince them otherwise as yet. Still trying to. :-D Bazza

===

8. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

You won't lose the music as it's stored separately on the hard drive. I would get in touch with Apple themselves over the matter and see if they can sort something out for you. The purchases should be on record and they should be able to see if you've downloaded them or not.

9. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Do you have another computer you can just download them onto (an authorized one), save them to an external HD and just transfer them over that way?

Obviously, that won't solve the long term problem, but if you have that many songs, you may want to think about doing it that way.

10. bigbazza

Thanks Laura and mcadam. :major

Laura
    Unfortunately (i think) iTune tracks are pegged to a particular PC to stop pirating.

mcadam
    I have emailled Apple in Sydney. No response as yet.

Thanks folks.

Anyone else with suggestions? All welcome. Bazza

11. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hey bazza

They are, but you can authorize up to 5 PCs to play your music. And with that much money invested, if you have another PC, authorize it and get your music. Then solve your problem.

All you need to do to authorize it is download iTunes to the other PC, log into your account from there. Go into 'store' and click authorize computer.

12. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

What modem/router are you using? What are the MTU settings between your Laptop and router and between router and ISP? Are there any firmware updates for the router? I'm thinking that the network from your Laptop to the Internet via your ISP has a communication error somewhere causing time-out or corruption of the IP.

13. bigbazza

LauraR
    Thanks heaps, LauraR. That is a great suggestion. :major Didn't know about this. We are only new to iTunes but have been giving it a hammering as you no doubt have gathered. :-D

Maxwell

Thanks for your suggestion, but all connections working fine to buy and download a single track. If the downloads (paid for) have a separate IP address then this could be corrupted. I will re-install Itunes this weekend and see if this fixes it.

Bazza

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  14. bperk

bperk Private E-2

I had similar problems upgrading my library. It was 340 songs and I got the same network errors. After trying a different computer, upgrading my mac from 10.4 to 10.5, and all of their troubleshooting, I contacted iTunes support again.

Their tier 2 support person ended up putting 40-50 purchases at a time in my account and I'd download them. After downloading, I'd email him back and he'd do the next batch. It solved the issue.

Seems to be some sort of a time-out issue with a bunch of songs getting processed quickly enough. They continue to blame it on my ISP limiting downloads, but we're not even getting to that point before it fails.

Brian

15. bigbazza

Thanks Brian. I have to wait to next week to uninstall / re-install iTunes as #2 son has gone back to work and I won't see him for a week. I suspected it may be a volume of accrued downloads but we will see. I am not sure if the Bonjour service is running on #2's laptop. Another thing to check out. Apple have not bothered to reply to my email. As I mentioned earlier, downloading 1 song is not a problem.

What really annoys me is that Apple / iTunes do not appear to acknowledge that such a problem has existed for years. Any google search will show that. ( see my earlier links). And no apparent easy solution is found in google either.

I will never own an iPod, although family have bought 3 iPod 80 gig classics recently. This error, lack of support and other proprietary stuff reinforce this for me.

Thanks again. Bazza

===

16. bperk

bperk Private E-2

I think your best bet is to wait for Apple to get back to you, or pester them again. Once I reached a second tier support guy, they got things rolling quickly. Re-installing iTunes shouldn't be necessary, if you have the same problem that I did, they do it all from their end.

I'm extremely disappointed in Apple about this, but they did come through in the end.

Good luck.

Brian

17. bigbazza

It's been about one month and no sensible reply from Apple. :cry Just loaded the latest iTunes update from Major Geeks yesteday and installed it today on my PC and #2 son's laptop and we can finally download the 274 downloads we have paid for.

Don't know why it works but it does. :cool :major Downloading underway !!

Bazza

18. bigbazza

Took a while but we finally downloaded 270/274 pending paid for downloads this afternoon. :major :cool :-D ;) :) Not quite sure what happened to the missing 4 :confused but I think they might have been withdrawn by iTunes during our 3 1/2 months trying to get bl**dy iTunes download to work.

That's it, end of story I hope. :-D Bazza

19. simonaB

simonaB Private E-2

Olla amigos,

I'm sick of the iTunes store problem just about ready to give it up, found this site, it doesn't solve all of the iTunes store problems, but at least a few of them.

I hope Apple will get the iTunes store running properly soon.

Good luck,
    Simona.

20. bigbazza

Don't hold your breath, simonaB. Welcome to MG. Apple has had problems with iTune store downloads for years. See the google links I posted earlier. Apple / iTunes don't acknowledge the problem, that I could find on Google. They didn't suggest a solution that worked for me. Bazza

===

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  21. mourlo37

mourlo37 Private E-2

:rasberry You people are not going to believe this....but after communicating hopelessly with the folks over at iTunes trying to resolve my connection issues, I finally discovered a solution.

READY? *DRAMATIC THEME MUSIC PLAYS*

Create a new user account on your computer. Name it anything you wish. I named mine itunes. Start the itunes program. Try connecting to the itunes store. Once you validate your computer, switch accounts back to your normal user account. You should have no problems. No kidding, really that simple. No messing with firewalls, network settings nothing.

Finally, I can watch all the movies and TV shows I downloaded, and listen to my music again...*sigh* mind numbing gratification. I would be interested in knowing if this works for you.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  22. bigbazza

It is a pity that Apple/iTunes don't post any solutions. Mine worked by installing latest version over old version. So here's another method to try as outlined in this previous post. Thanks again. Bazza

23. bigbazza

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds