Western Digital Elements 500 G External HD - how to use it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimvalen70, Jun 13, 2010.

1. jimvalen70

jimvalen70 Private E-2

I just purchased a WD Elements 500g External Hard drive and I do not know how to use it. I have been to WD website and I am not able to locate a user guide, install software or any instructions on how to get my files onto it.

It came with an install guide that tells me to plug the USB cord into the computer. When the WD icon comes up, I hit autorun but then nothing happens.

How does I work this drive to back up specific files on my computer, not just the entire drive? I cant get it work anyways...

Thanks for your help.

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

OK- if you got it connected to your computer and it's running, you have to format it before using it.
    Depending on your OS and whether it's 'seen' by your OS would determine your next steps.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is the Operating System you are using with this drive?

Generally all you need to do is to plug it in and once say "Windows" (guessing as to your OS and version) has loaded the Mass Driver, the drive should be able to be accessed via My Computer/Computer as a HDD, Install and FAQ Guides are HERE but should also be in a folder on the drive, once you are able to access it, but as they generally come formatted to FAT32, Windows and Apple OSX can open them, if using Linux you need to chase that up in our Linux forum area, especially if not using Windows or OSX. (notice you have a thread their so please do let us know the Operating System mainly used, so we can concentrate on the most applicable thread, be it Windows or Linux)

To use it as a backup you can just copy and paste the folders and files to the drive, can also use an application to do this and Karens Replicator is good and free, but if Linux is the OS then another application will need to be found, but copy and paste works with Linux,

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You do not need to format it before using. I have an external 500GB WD My Passport Essential that when plugged into a windows or linux computer is seen and ready for my use.
    In windows, some auto backup program pops up with a message. Since I neither want nor need this, I always cancel and then I get a pop up about that software not working properly. I then continue to file manager and do what I want with the computer and the external drive.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

6. jimvalen70

jimvalen70 Private E-2

BAKLOGIC ------------- Buddy

Man, this is hell. You have been with me for weeks now trying to get this fixed. I APPRECIATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME SO FAR MAN!!!! :wave
    At this point I have both drives working, master and slave. I have nothing on the slave, formatted. The main drive, I installed Linux, Ubuntu because I could not boot XP in any way, shape or form. I tired the backup disc, that would not work and my old XP disc does not help either. The main hard driver runs great with Ubuntu but I really need windows as my main OS. I have an Vista Upgrade disc and I think to run this is my only option. There are multiple partition on the main HD, 250g WD. I have ran multiple diagnostic for the XP and main HD, XP is corrupted 2 the point of needing a clean and sweep install. Fine I can do this BUT on this main HD I have 40 gigs of pics and videos of the family and 100 gigs of music. All of this i of course need to keep. So, my plan was to back this up on an external HD, like the one I purchased, WD elements, 500g and wipe both drives clean, install brand new vista and life will be good.

Problem is that the WD elements does not seem to work with Ubuntu to back up my files in order to '' start over '. I know this is a windows thread and I want my machine to be windows. Just at this point, I am open to all ideas. I will post this with the Linux thread also.

Another question. If I do back up these files with Ubuntu Linux, can I restore this data onto Vista? We all know how Microsoft and Linux are mortal enemies.

Also, how the hell do I back these files up in Ubuntu to the external HD that has a script that is made for windows????

I would love to run Vista on the main HD, 250g and have Ubuntu on the slave and also have the slave for back up also. Seems like this is the idea that got me into this mess in the first place. Grub loader. :confused

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

From what I have learned, the now slave drive, could be used as your XP if you have a disk, and COA to go with it (no matter what version, as long as the COA is for that one), you can disconnect the Ubunto hard drive, and set the 40gb as master, insert the XP disc, and then use the fixboot, and fixmr, and install XP on it. Then connect your new usb hard drive, and restart XP and it should find it o.k.
    Then attatch the 250gb, but set it as slave, and you should be able to boot into XP, and copy the data from the corrupted XP partition, to the external new hard drive that you have

As suggested in the Linux thread, mounting and unmounting seem to be the problem- As I have little knowledge of Linux/ubunto , I can only lead you off site, which I do not like to do, but unless someone here at majorgeeks can help you further, I can offer the following, but- you must keep it in mind that I am very uninformed where Linux is concerned, I only knew there were problems with the grub loader, and as yet, I have not got around to trying it as a full blooded operating system. :-o

Copy corrupted XP with Ubunto

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=copy+files...wc6sePHbcTa0pH8jTALywyShOk=&tsp=1276767957104

XP after installing Linux

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=copy+files...D1An6xVPhlzac8BOB1PRHKzxP4=&tsp=1276767957104

Apparently you need to use extra 'tools, in Ubunto to mount the drive, to access the files in XP that you want - this means using commands as described .
    :cry
    http://www.ask.com/bar?q=copy+files...oiTjv9d4DICt/oFF+xRiXycFuA=&tsp=1276767957104
    I have copied this to the Linuthread, and it would be best if this continued there, as you are more likely to get help with Linux , there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds