Western Digital External HD problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcs_design, Jun 3, 2008.

1. pcs_design

pcs_design Private E-2

Hi guys,
    I pray someone here can help me out with my problem.
    I did a google search and found this link
    http://www.computer-juice.com/forum...-wd-500gb-usb-external-disk-boot-sector-5716/
    I had the same exact symptoms as Jothel and so tried the remedy that worked for him. But i got a different result when running chkdsk e: /f i got the option "convert lost chains to files y/n?" i chose yes and it seemed to do something. I can now open my hard drive in explorer but there is only one folder there labeled "FOUND.000" with a load of files inside labled "FILExxxx.CHK"
    I also followed the stepps in the link recomended
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247575
    to no avail.
    Oh please someone help,
    PCS

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Those files are normal and can be deleted. It sounds like your harddisk was in bad shape. When Windows boots up, it checks for errors on harddisk and if found, it will try to fix the errors. You can skip it, but you should not cuz the errors will build up and become a mudslide eventually to the point some data will be lost forever. Also, while the disk is being accessed, do not force shut down, unplug power cord, or remove the disk from the computer as any of these actions will damage the disk in some way.

Unless you're experiencing errors, you don't have to do anything else for the hard disk.

3. pcs_design

pcs_design Private E-2

thanks for the tips akhilles.
    I tried rebooting the computer but is didn't go into its usual error check if the external drive is plugged in.
    I know those .CHK files are from the chkdsk and are supossed to be there, but the problem is, that's all that is there. one folder containing 10,000 .CHK files exactly. There was much more then that on the drive.
    I notice that I am able to check the properties of the External drive and it says that it has 199GB of used space. However the .CHK file only amount to 41GB. Does that mean tht my files are still somewhere? Can i get access to them?

4. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Not without professional help. The data is there, but in an unorganized manner. There's nothing much you can do to savage it. Let it be a lesson. Use backup in Windows. Back up your files to DVD-RW/CDRW/flash memory regularly. You don't have to back up the whole drive. Just the important ones like email, address book, bookmarks/favorites, drivers, etc. I write my drivers & freeware on a memory stick which I share with my family & friends.

Another thing is do run disk check regularly like once a month. Go to my computer, right-click the drive for properties, tools, check now. There's software that automates this process. Google.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds