Western Digital MyBook Essential 1.5TB help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xdarkreaperzx, Jan 5, 2011.

1. xdarkreaperzx

xdarkreaperzx Private E-2

I just recently ordered a case off Dealextreme; a 3.5" case, which is only big enough to support a laptop hard drive. I can still use it, but is there any case replacement I can buy for it? Thanks guys.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

your question isn't clear. a 3.5" enclosure is big enough to house a desktop hard drive. I'm not seeing what your problem is.

3. xdarkreaperzx

I'm just asking what brand you'd recommend. Preferably the cheapest. Dealextreme lied on their website saying the one I bought was 3.5" but it's really a 2.5" for a laptop hard drive. Luckily I can still use it because my friend broke his laptop and has the 500GB HDD to spare. I'd still like to use my 1.5TB so what's the cheapest case I can get?

4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I would recommend you go to newegg.com and look under external enclosures. I'm sure you'll find something inexpensive and good.

5. xdarkreaperzx

Are you sure that a 3.5" would fit a desktop HDD? I don't want to get the wrong case like I did off Dealextreme.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

This is a list of all Newegg's external enclosures for 3.5" (desktop) hard drives. Probably best to get one with a fan. Also make sure you get one with the correct connector (SATA, SATA2, IDE, etc.).

I highly doubt they have any mistaken 2.5" enclosures, but read the reviews, and if you still end up with the wrong size, you can simply RMA it. I highly doubt you'll get the wrong size from Newegg, though.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

2.5" is for laptop hd
    3.5" is for desktop hd
    5.25" is for all the above as well as CD and DVD drives. (I have two 5.25" enclosures purchased from newegg that I have CD burners in).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds