what and where is that program putting files on my computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DorisCollins, Dec 18, 2014.

1. DorisCollins

DorisCollins Private E-2

Hi, all. I usually can find the information that I want here by simply searching. But I'd like to know if there is a program or a way to see exactly what a program is installing and how it is changing my computer, either as it is happening or even post-installation.
    I am feeling shaky about having to install Adobe Flash on my computer in order to use another program (Amazon Music Importer). You can say that I am obsessive about what I put on my computer and I don't like the idea of installing programs that may do things that I do not want it to do, or that will phone home with information that I don't think is necessary without my knowledge, etc., that kind of thing. I don't know who I can trust or who I want to trust.
    That said, you probably need to know that I'm using Windows 7 Professional. I depend on Kaspersky Internet Security, Malwarebytes Premium, and Secunia PSI to keep my computer safe. I also use EULAlyzer Personal to help me deal with EULAs.
    Maybe I just need assurance that installing Adobe Flash is safe (come to think about it, maybe I should be concerned with the Amazon Music Importer as well). But it would be great to know just how a new installation changes my computer.:confused
    Thanks for any assistance.:)

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

With well known programs like Adobe Flash it isn't the program you need to worry about, it's where you download it from. In Flash's case get it right here at MG - there are a lot of fakers about.

You don't say what your browser is but if it isn't Internet Explorer then post back and we'll find you other safe links.

You don't have to have flash but without it some websites won't function, as you have discovered, but with all downloads don't accept the Run function. Save the installer to your Downloads folder and scan it with your AV. That way you will always be safe.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Adobe have taken to including McAfee in their downloads. It's optional so be sure to look for and uncheck the option when running the installer..

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

DorisCollins...

If you would like to see what is being installed on your PC, this program will do the job:

http://www.freewarebb.com/files/file/11562-installwatch-pro/

This is a clean, safe download site and download. It's actually one of the most popular on this site. Not sure why it's not here at MGs (unless I missed it).

You install the program and then you take a snapshot of your current PC registry of files as per instructions. Then you use the program to install the program you will be installing. InstallWatch then compares pre- and post- install PC files logs and shows you everything, including registry keys, that has been installed. You can actually save the lists if you like.

Just for the record, Flash is a little bit of a chore, because there are monthly or so updates to deal with. It's safe, though, and at least the program notifies when there is an update.

5. DorisCollins

DorisCollins Private E-2

Wow! Thank you all for your replies. I feel much better about installing Flash Player. And Thanks, Atlbo for your suggestion. I will try it today and post back. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds