What are HKLM and HKCU?

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Apr 19, 2008.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I'm trying to get a handle on my Start-Up items and I'm reading all kinds of advice on MajorGeeks. So I check msconfig for my start-up stuff and I find a bunch of these things: HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows\Current VersionVer and HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\Current VersionVer. In front of these lines are such things as: jusched, and issch. What in the world is all this? I recognize a lot of the startup items, but not these. Help. Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

HKLM = Hkey Local machine

LKCU = Hkey local user

These are various locations in the windows registry and each can at times mirror the info held in the other but they are quiet specific and its not worth deleting items from them unless confident.... deleting the run hive items is pretty ok as many unless your security software listings are not really needed, but if you post a list we can advise on whats safe or not to remove.

Sadly due to how the application works it may pop its startup into either of those registry keys run hives.

jusched is Sun Javas startup and more so its updater and well is not needed to delete as Sun Java is not a rollup applications it always needs older version uninstalling and newer installing

issch is Installshields installer app and also not needed as all applications come with their own installers.

I normally just use Ccleaners Startup list to delete what I dont need BUT this is perminent deletion so another app I have is this which allows you to manage themstartups Startup Delay so you can untick the startups and see if anything breaks if not then leave them unticked or fully delete.

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks. That Startup Delay looks good; I'll try it. I have ccleaner but I don't see a reference to start up items. Where is it?

4. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Hey, Halo, I apologize for my last post. If I had looked a bit deeper I would have found the reference to startup in ccleaner. Sorry about that.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Frybo

No worries, I could have posted the location of it in the menus to make it easier for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds