What are "script errors" and how do I kill them?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Jun 28, 2006.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I keep getting these script errors which then ask if I wish to continue running scripts on the page with "yes" and "no" buttons.

In the first place, I don't know what a script is so I don't know what to answer. I have tried both yes and no but they both seem to do nothing and I still get more script errors; sometimes 5 or 6 in a page load.

How do I get rid of these little nasties?

2. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

HI!
    In IE>Tools>Options>Internet Option>Advanced tab
    Scroll down to the items you see in the pic and set them as shown
    Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer) CHECKED
    Disable Script Debugging (Other) CHECKED
    Display a notification about every script error UNCHECKED
    Click OK.OK again
    Close IE and next time you surf you won't get those messages.
    :)

Attached Files:

• IE1.gif
      IE1.gif
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
  3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Toni_1947

KEWL! Thanks.

By the by, I'm a 1947 also.

4. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Yow! Spoke too soon. My settings already reflect the ones you gave and I still get these crappy messages. Is there anything else that could be causing them to appear?

5. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Could Try

I did some time ago receive in XP Control Panel "Script Errors" [Script Error = ;res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\nusrmgr.cpl/nusrmgr.hta] and I used the proceedure as below and since have not had an Script Error??

If you are not using XP I feel you should ask for further advice before using same?
    Step to follow:
    Delete the mshta.exe in Windows\System32 folder (and let the file be in Recycle bin). Now, Windows file protection will extract a new copy of this file automatically. If does not work "Restore the File from Recycle Bin and If all OK then afterwards you can Empty the Recycle Bin
    Please Note! The computer will on startup locate/install the "mshta" file from within your computer windows programming!
    Hope may help
    PS
    Another thought??
    Enter in the = Program using and the Script Error = in Goggle Search and see if you can find a fix there??

6. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I have tried everything sugggested and also the fixes at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308260 entitled "How the troubleshoot script errors in Internet explorer".

They suggest trying signing on as another user. There are no other users. I am the owner.

They say to make sure the ActiveX and Java are not blocked. They aren't.

They say to make sure the anti-virus program -- I use Avira AntiVIR -- is not at fault. I have turned it completely off to no avail.

They suggested deleting all temp files, Cookies, and history files. No improvement.

They suggested updating the scripting engine which involves reloading Windows XP. I have been fighting this crap for two weeks and have restored this unit three times. I finally have it somewhere near where it was two weeks ago and they want me to restore the effen SOB back to what it was in 2003 -- AGAIN? NO WAY!!!

They suggest turning off features I don't need like Smooth Scrolling. No effect.

After that, all of the suggested fixes are geared to Windows versions prior to XP.

This simply sucks out loud. I think I'm ready for Linux and Firefox.

7. avondude

avondude Senior Member, 25% Off All Posts

OK---really weird---I have XP/SP2---when I run the Yahoo toolbar pop up blocker I get multiple script errors on some pages---when I turn off Yahoo's pop up blocker and use the one in IE I get no script errors---I am not a tech and discovered this quite by accident---hope this somehow helps---:eek:

8. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I am using Guidescope ( http://www.guidescope.com/home/ ), which is a graphics suppression program, and it runs as a proxy server that suppresses graphics before they get to your machine.

I am also using 12 Ghosts ( http://www.12ghosts.com/ ) as the popup blocker.

I will try turning them both off and see what happens.

9. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I turned off Pest Patrol, Guidescope, Cookie Patrol (part of PP), PPMemCheck (part of PP), Start Page Guard (notifies if a start page hijack occurs), 12 Ghosts, and restarted the computer and I still get script errors. The only thing I didn't stop was Avira AntiVIR as I have already tried that.

<SIGH>

10. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I had the same problem until i updated java.

11. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Tunered,

Okay, so dish the dirt. How do you update Java?

12. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Uninstalling Java Components:
    1. Close any open programs you may have running, especially your web browser
    2. Click Start > Control Panel
    3. Open Add or Remove Programs
    4. Click once on any item listing Java Runtime Environment in the name
    5. Click the Remove or Change/Remove button
    Follow steps 4 and 5 as many times as necessary to remove all versions of Java
    6. Reboot your PC once all Java components have been removed
    7. Proceed with reinstalling Java

Reinstalling Java Components
    1. Open Internet Explorer
    2. Go to http://www.java.com
    3. Click the Get It Now button
    4. The installer should begin automatically. If it does not, click the Manual Download link
    5. Follow the prompts to install Java, agreeing with the license and selecting a typical install

Good Luck!

13. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

AW, CRAP! That didn't work either. I even scrubbed registry before I did the download and rebooted again.

This is just plain frustrating! There's gotta be a way to fix this. Hell, I don't even know what a script is so why do I have to be befuddled by them?

Is there anything else that could be causing this?

14. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I went online with a tech at HP and he sent me to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm which fixed the problem.

He also had me uncheck the box at Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Enable Third Party Browser Extensions

VOILA! No more script errors.

Thanks to all for your help.

15. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I've been reading this post with interest. I still have the same errors occasionally. Thanks for the educational hints. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds