What are the best programs for spliiting PDFs or converting them to other documents?

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, May 17, 2013.

1. I don't have Microsoft Word.

I have seen a lot of these programs are expensive shareware.

2. Re: What are the best programs for spliiting PDFs or converting them to other documen

Actually I'm really interested in editing rather than splitting PDFs.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: What are the best programs for spliiting PDFs or converting them to other documen

You can try PDFEdit from Sourceforge.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: What are the best programs for spliiting PDFs or converting them to other documen

conceptualclarity...

LibreOffice will allow you to edit .pdfs. Right click the .pdf and select "Open With" then in the Program Files\LibreOffice 4.0\Programs folder select soffice. Once open the .pdf can be edited. The "Save As" dialog gives only the choice to save as an .odg file, but there is a feature on the File menu to export as a .pdf. I used it to see how it works, and it works great.

Someone on the LibreOffice board could probably enlighten you on converting to a word processor type document...

5. Re: What are the best programs for spliiting PDFs or converting them to other documen

I have opened up a PDF with PDFEdit. It shows a window saying "Pdf id linerized." It asks "Should it be delinerized?" I don't even know what that means. It's not at Dictionary.com.

6. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

The best way to learn what things like this do to a PDF is to experiment.

Make a copy of the PDF you wish to edit, keeping the original in reserve. ;)

Edit it linerized and save it. Examine it. Size, different attributes. Appearance overall. Then make another copy and edit unlinerized.

I say this because:

A) You'll learn by doing.

B) Different PDFs will come out, well different. Based on what the contents are, i.e. embedded graphics of several different types, the presence of OCR, original margin settings and other things...

This way you can see what the setting produces, and if it is what you want/like, keep it. If not to your taste, dump it...

I use Foxit PDF Editor v2.1.0. Old (2009) but reliable. It was around $40, I think their current offerings are in the ~ $100 range now. If this is for professional work, I would invest in a paid solution for support and extra features. Many free PDF editors are somewhat limited compared to their paid for cousins...

7. Re: What are the best programs for spliiting PDFs or converting them to other documen

Thanks for the advice. It's just for my own use, not for professional work.

Still, I'd like to know what linerized and delinerized mean.

Also, what is OCR?

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Ever heard of Google? OCR is Optical Character Recognition. It tries to convert pictures of or containing text into editable text. Such programs often have problems with the document layout but can be quite useful all the same.

9. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

This should help explain what PDF linearization means and why it's used.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds