What are these 2 programs & can I delete?

Discussion in 'Software' started by billythestick, Feb 22, 2010.

1. billythestick

billythestick Private E-2

I just found a virus on my computer and was going through add/delete programs to do a little cleaning up while I was at it. Any clue what these are for - can I delete??

AnswerWorks 5.0 English Runtime
    PS2

Thanks!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Instead of trying to clean up on your own, guessing wrong and making windows inoperable, head here
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    read and follow the detailed directions for your version of windows.

When you have the logs, start a new thread here
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35
    attaching your logs to the post.

Be patient. It can take anywhere from 2 - 4 days for one of the experts here to look over your logs and tell you exactly what needs to be cleaned. It will be worth the wait.

3. Geek'N'Out

Geek'N'Out Guest

Or simply download Malwarebytes and use the built-in program remover if you can remove them,
    You can remove the first program it looks like it has nothing to do with windows/microsoft,

Uninstall Malwarebytes after! done!

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Why uninstall MalwareBytes?
    One of the best programs going. Just update periodically and scan on a regular schedule.

5. Geek'N'Out

Geek'N'Out Guest

it saves space uninnstalling,
    but i've downloaded the git and it won't remove any othe the unlimited amount of viruses i know i have! :major
    Apart from that malwarebytes is good for removing stuff like windows movie maker
    you could try removing any dll files via C:\WINDOWS\DLLCACHE\

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

This has no relevance to the topic and may make the system unstable.

Malwarebytes is an anti-malware program and will not remove viruses, You need a dedicated antivirus program to remove viruses.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and service pack are you using?

Answerworks is a natual language based search application http://www.vantage-software-tech.com/products/ did you or company install this.

PS2 = no idea could be anything including Photoshop 2 to the Multifunction keys on a HP Computer, in add/remove does it list a publisher (see Windows version comment as different ways to find this out)

To find publisher info in Add/remove,

XP ~ highlight the app and click "click here for support information"
    Vista/Win7 ~ it should highlight the publisher by default (if not then rigth click the name bar and choose publisher)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds