What Caused the BSOD?

Discussion in 'Software' started by anon_private, May 22, 2014.

1. anon_private

anon_private Private First Class

I have had a couple of BSOD's. but the system recovered. In both cases, I was using AVIRA to scan the system at the time- this may have been coincidental.

I received the following report:

Product
    Windows

Problem
    Shut down unexpectedly

Date
    22/05/2014 23:22

Status
    Not Reported

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem
    Mini052214-01.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 77
    BCP1: 00000001
    BCP2: 00000000
    BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 80C568C0
    OS Version: 6_0_6002
    Service Pack: 2_0
    Product: 768_1

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Could you please attach Mini052214-01.dmp as a zip archive to your next post? They can't offer suggestions without first viewing the minidump.

3. anon_private

Thank you for responding.

Do you know where the dmp file is located?

How is a dmp file opened? Is there any danger in opening a dmp file?

Some people on another board say that I should run CCCleaner. If this does not work install and run a program that repairs system files, e.g., BCCode repair, or similar. Any thoughts?

Best wishes.

A

4. anon_private

UPDATE:

I have just run sfc /scannow.

Evidently, I have some corrupted system files that must be corrected manually. The details are in CBS.Log

I have located this file in c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log.

I cannot open the file, permission denied.

Advice please.

5. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

The minidump files have the name convention of xxxxxx-xxxxx-xx.dmp where the "x's" represent date and time of report. They will be found in a folder named:
    C:\Windows\Minidump

So, you are looking for: C:\Windows\Minidump\xxxxxx-xxxxx-xx.dmp

Please don't run CCleaner at this time as it may be configured to delete/remove any existing dump files.

To open the CBS.log file,
    • Start orb > All programs > Accessories, right click on Notepad and select "Run as administrator".
    • From Notepad's File menu select "Open..."
    • At the bottom right of the file selection window in the pull down menu, change the file type from "Text Document (*.txt)" to "All files (*.*)".
    • Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS
    You should now be able to select and open the CBS.log file.

6. anon_private

Thanks for the information.

I have compressed the file and attach it.

Another observation that may help,

When virus scanning, the program (AVIRA) and the system froze when scanning iiswmi.dll. When I tried to locate this file, the system froze.

I wonder if there is a good utility, online or download, that can repair the dll files?

Best wishes.

A

Ps of luck with that zip file.

Attached Files:

• CBS.zip
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
  7. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

The Cbs.log is showing that all corrupted files could be repaired. There were a couple that would be replaced on reboot/boot.

8. anon_private

I did try to repair the system files. I ran sfc /scanow. There was an initial message, to the effect, that there were insufficient resources.

However, the scan was completed and the message stated, to the effect, that some files needed to be corrected manually.

Because of the freezing of AVIRA and the pc when the scanning is occurring I am convinced that a file is corrupt.

Can you advise regarding the way forward.

Thanks

Ps. I did re-boot

9. anon_private

I wanted to edit my latest post, but it is past 10mins

I wanted to add that the message regarding 'not enough storage' was seen when running Command as admin. I do not see this message when running as user.

I will try sfc as user and see if it makes a difference.

10. anon_private

sfc will not run as user, only in elevated mode (admin)

This is what I see when run as admin

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    Not enough storage is available to process this command.

C:\Windows\system32>

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  11. _nullptr

Has the BCCode always been 0x77?
    Have you checked your Hard Drive for errors? If not, run the following command from an elevated cmd prompt:
    Code:
    chkdsk /r 
    You should also test the memory for errors with Memtest86 or similar software.

12. anon_private

Thnk you for replying.

I do not know if the BCCode has always been 77. The problem is recent.
    I have not checked the hard drive for errors, but I will.
    I have not tested the memory, but I will.

Best Wishes

PS. What about the systems files?

13. anon_private

UPDATE

I tested the memory, all tests passed.

I tested the hard disk for errors and found damaged sectors corresponding to file iiswmi.dll

These sectors were repaired by chkdsk.

I ran AVIRA and it scanned completely without a problem, previously, the system froze at iiswmi.dll.

Some questions:

Since the sectors were damaged how could chkdsk save iiswmi.dll, surely the file must have been damaged.

What causes sectors to become damaged?

Do I need to re-run sfc to ensure the integrity of the system files, especially iiswmi.dll.

When I first started chkdsk in elevated command, I saw a message that told me that chkdsk could not start because it was being used by another process, and that it would be placed in a queue and run after re-boot - this occurred. Can anyone explain this fact?

Thanks.

Ps. On a related point regarding CBS.log, what does CBS stand for?

14. _nullptr

Most likely the sectors were eventually readable, it just took an excessive number of attempts to be able to do so. Periodically run chkdsk. If more sectors start to be flagged as damaged, then it's likely that the HD is on its last legs. This also applies if you notice that disk reads/writes are becoming slower.
    I'd recommend doing so.
    Chkdsk can only be run on the system partition when the partition is not mounted/in use by the operating system. The only way to do this is at boot time.
    Component-Based Servicing

15. anon_private

Thank you for answering my questions.

Best wishes.

A

16. anon_private

Hi,

Just completed a second scan using chkdsk - no problems discovered.

I was wondering if chkdsk can be used too often, that is, presumably every time the programme is used it interacts with the disk, does this cause wear?

Secondly, after a scan, does chkdsk store a logfile, if so, do you know the location?

Thanks

17. _nullptr

Just run chkdsk when you need to:
    • rule in/out system file integrity as being a problem
    • prior to a boot time defragmentation
    • prior to adjusting partition sizes
    You should be able to find a chkdsk report in the Event Viewer logs under Windows Logs -> Application

18. _nullptr

Edit to above post:
    Should have been rule in/out disk integrity.

19. anon_private

I found the logs in Event Viewer Under Wininit. There appears to be no way to search for particular applications.

I have Defrag scheduled in Windows, so have never run the programme from Command.

Am I right in thinking that running Defrag from Command would be similar to running Chkdsk in that it would be scheduled after a re-boot. I have not noticed Defrag running in Windows, but then there are a few programmes that update and hence delays are normal.

Best wishes.

A

20. _nullptr

Windows own defragmenter can't be scheduled to run at boot. I was referring to some 3rd party defragmenters that offer that option, so that things like the master file table and paging file can be processed.
    If you run the defrag program, it should show the last time that it ran, as well as whether you have any schedule set.
    regards :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds