What Gadgets Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Software' started by redtearsblackwings, Mar 24, 2011.

1. redtearsblackwings

redtearsblackwings Private E-2

I hope that this topic is okay to post, but I thought it would be good fun to discuss which gadgets work for you and which ones don't. It would also be good to hear about your favorite gadgets that you've got/had and how long they lasted or how long you've been using it.

I love my iPod, I've had it for the better part of 4 years now and I've only ever had 2 problems with it. Yes it's very out of date(and fat as compered to the new ones) but it works pretty much as well as when I first got it and it's only about 3/4 full :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Wow, dunno where to start as gadgets is a huge topic and I have many many gadgets from iPods, iPhone, Windows Mobile Phone to Laptops, Netbook and a Home Server, could also class my car a gadget as it has Windows Mobile OS built in to control voice, mp3 (from the usb port) to being able to download the cars data on gear changes to fuel consumption to USB and then plotted by a PC app.

I have had 2 iPod Touchs and the first one broke after 3yrs, the weak point in the iPod Touch and iPhone for that matter is IMO the Home button, but I will see how long the new Touch lasts.

3. Rebecca J.

Rebecca J. Private E-2

A laptop and a Nook. Have not found a Tablet I liked yet.

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I'm in the same quandry as DavidGP . . . I have so many gadgets I don't know where to start.

My newest toy is the iPhone 4 . . . very nifty. I'm becoming addicted to the thousands of apps available for it - many of them free or just a buck. I'm almost embarassed to admit this is only my second cell phone . . . :-o I didn't join the modern age until June of '09

I pretty much have most computer gadgets you can think of - the most useful recently is an external USB harddrive gizmo that I use to test SATA and PATA drives - it's like the swiss army knife of drive hook-ups. Very handy and portable.

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I had to smile when i read that, i got rid of my mobile phone in 08 and do not miss it at all.

I bought my wife a new iphone a couple of months ago and she loves it.

Most of my gadgets are PC related and i have most things you can attach to a PC, my latest is a writing tablet but the one i like most is the thumb print reader that protects my PC.

6. redtearsblackwings

redtearsblackwings Private E-2

Man I started this thread and I feel so out dated and gadgetless!

I've got my Galaxy S that I've had for about a week and I must say I'm totally addicted to all the apps and I'm starting to wonder how much of the data allowance I've used lol. I especially love the horoscope apps :-D

I love my USB sticks because it's so easy to carry around my files, that said I've lost one in the bottomless pit that is my handbag lol. I'm currently saving up for a new iPod classic to replace the one that I have, mostly because 80gig doesn't seem to be enough.

My boyfriend loves his stereos, TV's and HATES his iPhone that his work gave him lol.

7. DavidGP

Yeah they can be alove vs hate relationship, I like some aspects of the iPhone and ease of use for anyone into the SmartPhone area the iPhone is a winner, but for some aspects and for me they are not a power users phone, they lack easy data storage that the likes of Android and WM7 phones have, WM7 has Office 2010 mobile built in so in effect its like a mini office PC.

If you like gadgets then the iPhone is a winner but for Office/Business type usage, Android and WM7 is the way to go, I would not be without my WM6.5 phone these days and will in a month or so's time when contract is up be getting WM7 powered phone.

Oh and one gadget I love is the Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, liberation from the cable :) the one I really did enjoy getting and more so as it was free is the ARC Mouse as its small, perfectly designed for use and portability with laptop or netbook.

8. clemenzina

clemenzina Private E-2

Might as well join in, if only to do a test post :p

What constitutes a gadget? According to Major Geeks I can include my plasma TV so that must mean also my Orbitsound T12 soundbar (a mistake, shoulda bought a neat Onkyo system) and my umpteen PVRs all overflowing with TV programmes which seemed unmissable at the time).

I did have 5 laptops/netbooks (recently sold 2 to needy friends) plus attendant USB sticks and drives.

I'm too disorganised to use an iPod, which is a shame as the soundbar has a dock for it :( However I can play music via wifi = laptop >> PVR >> TV >> soundbar, and movies too.

My mobile phone is always a hand-me-down from my SO - when he gets an upgrade on his contract I get the old one; cannot justify buying one cos I hardly use it.

I'd really like a decent compact hifi system, but would need to make space = declutter :-o

I have loads of electronic cigarettes, here's an example if you don't know what I'm talking about - this one's a "mod" known as a Screwdriver MkI:

[​IMG]

clemenzina [​IMG]

9. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I have tons of gadgets. It is my weakness.

I just bought a Minox DSC because I love stuff like that.

I have binary wrist watches, smart phones, stirling engines, all sorts of stuff.

10. DavidGP

Now that would make a good Hobbies thread on collections? I like old watches dont have too many now, have a few collectable Tissot Rock Watches and one is a rare black one with a rock bracelet with 9ct gold bits.

11. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I have a major weakness with watches. Pocket watches, wrist watches, clocks, it doesn't matter.

My next purchase will be an Omega Speedmaster Professional. If it was good enough for Neil Armstrong to tell time with on the moon, then it is good enough for me to tell time with when I become unemployed again :-D

EDIT: Those Tissots look nice. I want one, and now I have to hate you for expanding my sphere of desire.

12. DavidGP

I have a really old solid 18ct gold Prince Albert Pocket Watch chain, and below is a quick snap of the Tissot Rock Watches I have in original box etc

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

13. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

Sexy.

Here is my favorite. I have a pistol to go with it.

[​IMG]

I had one of these for a while, but the internals got destroyed with dust, if I remember right.

[​IMG]

14. DavidGP

Fossil very nice, I love that chunky look and have an Adidas divers watch thats got that type of face but a leather strap, we need to spilt this off in to a watch thread me thinks?

15. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

It still fits within the "gadgets" supertitle if you want to continue here. And if the OP doesn't mind being side tracked a bit.

I generally am not impressed with Fossil that much, but I like the company that the watch was for a lot. And it makes for great intimidation if I explain it right :-D

My taste in watches is really starting to get a bit insane of late, really expensive stuff. I want real one of a very limited run type stuff anymore and can't afford it at all

16. DavidGP

Hey I'm happy if you are, just thought a specific heading would be nice, but I'm happy to chat anywhere.

Yeah I know what you mean in theta Fossil make a great immitation TAG or ROLEX quite well the shapes and bracelets are very close and hell not everyone can afford the TAGs etc I have a Gucci that I submersed in water by accident, not one of my finest moments, hence the Adidas divers watch now that I normally wear.

This is the pocket chain I mentioned earlier, just decided to dig it out took me a while to locate it, I hide things well so it seems.

[​IMG]

17. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

That is dead sexy.

I don't have many photos of my watches. This one is the beater I carried for years. I still have it and just need to put a battery in and it is good to go.

[​IMG]

18. DavidGP

WOW neat I love the sliver colour alot and both chain and watch go together really well, the brushed face looks good and thats something I do like in metalwork, great side track on gadgets BM.

19. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

Not a problem.

I need to polish the crystal a bit because of the scratches, but I love that watch.

I have a lot of stainless steel stuff or silver, because I am allergic to gold, but I still love watches.

20. Jillon

Jillon Private E-2

I have a green laser pointer. We know that they are often use visible lasers in the teaching, demonstration maximize the advantage of body language, so teaching, lectures are more lively, more perfect and thoroughly solve the problems about the classroom and the meeting of the inconvenience of using the mouse, but also help astronomers identify stars. I often like use it to pointer stars.

21. DavidGP

Well on gadgets I now have migrated from my HTC HD2 (I still have it as a spare phone) but now have a HTC HD7 WM7 OS powered phone and its superb, quick as hell and easy to use, the Microsoft Marketplace while not a big as the Apple Apps Store or Androids place it has a good set of apps, but the Marketplace will grow.

With Mango the next update due later this year the phone will get much better and with more functions for the social networking savvy user, as well as power user as in those who use Office as Office Mobile 2010 is already built in!

One of my great friends is thinking of going with the HTC HD7 next from her current iPhone 3Gs as well in part she likes the look of the GUI and that fact you can change the main screen tiles to PINK in colour! ( a winner ).

22. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I am still rocking my Droid (A855), but I did recently just upgrade the SDHC card to 32 gig. Now I can have a copy of my resume on my phone for instant emailing to places :-D

I also just purchased a Freeloader Pro Solar recharger & batter pack. It is pretty awesome.

23. DavidGP

That's the PLUS of a WM7 phone in that you have Office Mobile 2010 and Word to draft and save your resume, you can save locally, to email, Sharepoint if you have that setup in office environment or to Skydrive!

I have work powerpoints, word docs on mine as its great to recap on them in meetings.

Mobile OneNote is a Woooo thing for me as I love OneNote....

24. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I wouldn't want to try and edit my resume on my phone, but emailing it off to potential employers is a definate thing.

25. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

For work I have a HTC EVO, personally I have a HTC Hero. Then there is the Ipod Touch 3g, Ipad2, a Creative Zen Vision M all work with my Vuzix glasses for that full screen effect. A Dell Inspiron duo 'tablet'.. along with an PSP (phat), NDS lite, a320 & a GP2X Wiz. I game some, my fiance who has most of the same devices, plays all the time, the Ipod has became her favorite. She finally put her NDS aside.

26. audreybrayden

audreybrayden Private E-2

i have a Samsung galaxy s ii it suits my need and it is my second android phone, comfortable with android, ipad 2, ipod touch, nikon DSLR D700 and D5000 you could see me with my d700 most of my time

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds