What Gpu Should I Get For Amd Phenom Ii X 4 965

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaruler, Aug 6, 2017.

1. jaruler

jaruler Private First Class

Hi all

In a bit of a jam. I want to play EVE online again and the system i am currently using is a few years old. My question is what GPU should i get since the one currently used (Radeon HD5700 series) keep overheating so i have to have everything set to low.

my system is
    Wind 10 64 bit
    AMD Phenom II X4 965
    motherboard - GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    8 gig ram
    3 hard drives
    4 DVD drives

I do not know what PSU is in the unit as i have not ventured in it. But its a rather larger than normal case with a lot of extra bits added. The whole thing was passed onto me after a relative died so i have no real knowledge whats inside.

UK based so willing to spend £70. I know next to nothing about GPU's these days.Last time i had to research any was 20 years ago.

Thank you

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I can tell you one thing. Since you haven't ventured inside the case, you don't know how much heat trapping dust is inside — easily the biggest reason for the overheating.

Just Playin likes this.
  3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Nor does he know if the GPU fan works.

4. jaruler

Hi i have visual updates of cpu and gpu fan speeds.

thank you

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

6. jaruler

update.
    600 psu
    clean inside and even cleaned what little dust their was.
    the case has 6 fans fixed to the inside of the case all working, 4 in rear and 2 at front.
    The CPU fan and GPU fans are working with little to none dust/debris.

My comment about visual was to add that i get digital readings on the front of the case for the CPU fan rpm and the digital reading from desktop "advanced system care".

thank you

7. jaruler

So any help on what would be a good pick for a GPU upgrade? what should i lookout for>?

Thank you

8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

9. jaruler

what specs should i look out for and need to fulfil in a GPU card these days. i am way out of knowledge on them these days.

thank you for all your help

10. jaruler

GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    the above is my motherboard and it says PCIE 2.0. does that mean i can only look at cards that are the same or is 2.1 & 3.0 also ok?

thank you

11. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The cards are backwards compatible.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds