what GT stands for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Olley, May 8, 2005.

1. Olley

Olley Sergeant

does anyone know what the GT on the Geforce 6600GT or 6800GT stands for?

2. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

If its just 6600 then the performance is nowhere near as close as 6600GT

6600GT=Better than 6600
    6600Ultra=Better than 6600GT
    6600OC=Better than 6600Ultra

I think thats the way it goes.... Basically if it has GT next to it, it is better than the standard card.... Look at clock speeds and Benchmarks at www.tomshardware.com

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Kind of like the Ford Mustang GT had the same look as the regular mustang, but the GT had the 5.0L V8 instead of the standard 3.8L V6!!

Just thought I would put in my two cents, just incase you needed it really dumbed down!!!!

Roger

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

"GT", as an automotive term, stands for "Grand Touring", derived perhaps from the Ferrari 250 "GTO", an Italian acronym (usurped by General Motors for it's late 60's Pontiac muscle car), which stands for "Gran Turismo Omologato". Omologato, translated, means "homologated", a term denoting "approved for racing". So, in essence, the letters "GT" typically are used to simply denote "faster than 'not GT' ".

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I understand that, but...in todays STANDARD automotive world...if you have an automobile that comes in differnet versions, For example...a mustang or a mustang gt...then the mustang gt is the higher performance than the regular mustang!!

It was just a dumbed down version of how the GT means higher performance, that's all!! I wasn't saying that ANYTHING that says GT means that it is better or faster, just because it says GT!! I was just simply refering to this SPECIFIC case, and using that as an example!!

Sorry if I caused confusion!!!

Roger

6. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I'm not sure why you think I'm disagreeing with or contradicting you.

7. Olley

Olley Sergeant

ok, was just wondering what the abreviation stands for.. so its a term from the carworld "Grand Touring"?

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah I would go with that version of GT = Gran Turismo / Grand Touring

9. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I apologize big time Doug!!!!! I read that earlier in the morning before I woke up I guess!!!! Didn't soak it up correctly!! I thought you were insinuating that what I said didn't make any sense and didn't have anything to do with what he ask!!

Sorry, again
    Roger

10. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

It stands for Graphics Techology. Here's a good selection: http://mirror.ati.com/products/gamer.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds