What has Microsoft done with games (Solitaire collection) in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Software' started by usafveteran, Jul 17, 2013.

1. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Am I overlooking something in Win 8? To play Free Cell, I open the Microsoft Solitaire Collection. I'm presented a screen labeled "Add your Microsoft account". It has a box for email address - presumably a Microsoft email address - and password. I can accept or cancel. If I cancel, the game opens and I can play it. If I accept, I'm taken to the next screen "Let this app access your info?" I don't know what info it's referring to. The line below the title says "Microsoft Solitaire Collection" needs your permission to", and below that, it says "Access and update your Xbox LIVE info."

I couldn't care less about Xbox. I'm just interested in occasionally playing FreeCell. Can all the nonsense be stopped so that the user can just go straight to the game and play it, just as in Windows 7?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you change your login from a Microsoft account to a local account all that will stop.

3. K@ABC

K@ABC Private E-2

I understand your sentiment. If you have access to a computer running XP, Vista, or 7 you can copy the .exe file for Freecell and other original Win card games along with the cards.dll to your Win 8 computer and run them as before. If you don't have access you could try the site My Digital Life. They have a Windows 7 game package that's adapted for Win 8.

4. R.runner

R.runner Private E-2

That's not it. I cannot switch between Skype accounts on the RT app. The 8.1 update hasn't helped much.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Do mean my login to Windows? That is a local account.

6. Earthling

Not that. When setting up the Solitaire Collection it asks you to enter your Microsoft account and password, but if you cancel that you just play the game as in earlier versions. Sorry, my first post wasn't at all clear :-o

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well, it was set up when I first setup my computer. So now, can that be changed? The screen I encounter every time I open the game can be seen at http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/farmpond/forums/FreeCell_zpsddd7325c.png. I can click the Cancel button on that screen and proceed with playing the game. But, it's a silly step for users to have to encounter every time they start the game.

I think Microsoft has taken away the pleasure of simply playing a card game. The Win 8 version won't let the user reset statistics, change the card face or game background color, as far as I know; it takes much longer to start than the Win 7 game, and the silly Win 8 version sometimes takes charge of game and automatically plays some of the cards. And then, when a game is successfully completed, my goodness, what fanfare on the screen!

8. Earthling

The suggestion in #3 is the best way around this, even works in 8.1 Preview

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds