What is a SMTP server?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cmdr Chill, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

Hello again everybody! I hope everyone is having a happy new year. I am having a problem with my email and I am afraid it might be a virus. I have three email address's and I use Opera as a primary browser. every time I try to send an email I press send and nothing happens. No matter which email account I use. I even tried to send within Opera and thats when I got the message, Sending email failed, maybe my SMTP server isn't set up properly. I really don't know what that is. Can anyone give me any ideas? I have sent email from this machine before successfully although it's been a long time. Thank You for any help
    Cmdr Chill

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes SMTP is Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, the SMTP servers are generally what your ISP would give you to access your email, many online email address services use HTML mail like Yahoo, Hotmail, Google.. so this if that is the issue is different to SMTP, only mention this as you say you use Opera and Opera is a browser not an email client, so what email service you use?

What is the full error message?

To setup a correct SMTP and POP server settings in your email client, easy way is to search for "email settings [enter email service here]"

Have you checked your firewall is not blocking your email client.

Need more info really on what client, email service and what the full error is to assist more.

Info on SMTP
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol

3. Cmdr Chill

Hello Roy66 and Halo, I'm sorry for not being more specific I use comcast.net for my important stuff and excite.com for everything else I am recieving email with both but when I press send its like a dead button on either one, no error message. I go to the homepage for each on the web and sign in and go to email accounts and compose and send and nada! I then tried to use the Opera mail feature and thats when I get this message, "Sending e-mail failed. Maybe the SMTP server is not set up properly? E-mail queued." I also can read my email in Opera but the send function gives me this message. I hope this isn't one of those problems that no one has ever seen before. I seem to be lucky that way, I'm always the first person it happens to. Thanks for your help Cmdr Chill
    ps I did a search with those terms Halo and I got nothing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  4. Cmdr Chill

My wife just went to her account at yahoo on the web and it sent fine. do excite and comcast use the same server?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds