what is fast write?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by airman_slacker, Aug 21, 2004.

1. airman_slacker

airman_slacker Private E-2

anyone care to explain what fast write is with my agp settings? what is it's pros and cons?

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

it's a way to bypass some memory... things in the motherboard. it will basically shorten the path of the info written from the motherboard to the video card. nowadays, the performance is negligible at best, and can destabilize your computer. i highly recommend you disable it.

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i've had much better results with AGP fast write enabled ... it could be because i have an older slower system ... but in some benchmarks the difference would 130 fps with it off and 160 fps with it on

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

For all question for Bios settings Look Here:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=7&var1=18

AGP Fast Write

Common Options : Enabled, Disabled

Quick Review

This BIOS feature controls the AGP bus' Fast Write capability. Fast Write is a feature which accelerates memory write transactions from the chipset to the AGP device.

Fast Write allows the AGP device act like a PCI device. This allows it to bypass the main memory and directly access the data which improves AGP read performance. However AGP write performance is not affected.

It is recommended that you enable AGP Fast Write for better AGP read performance but disable it if any of your PCI cards start acting funny.

5. Steak and Eggs

Steak and Eggs Private First Class

ok, i have a thing under control panel > Display > Settings then switch to the advanced options and its called write combining? is that the same thing as fast write? if not then what is it? its been buggin me for a while, i got it disabled now, is that good?

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

7. Steak and Eggs

Steak and Eggs Private First Class

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds