What is good safe program to measure CPU temp?

Discussion in 'Software' started by edweather, Apr 2, 2015.

1. edweather

edweather Private First Class

What is a good safe easy software program that I can use to measure my CPU temperature? Thanks. Ed

2. MarkAtHome

MarkAtHome Private E-2

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015
  3. edweather

That's great thanks!

4. Maine

Maine Private E-2

Part of Wise Care 365 (free) will give you a floating bar with temps for your processor, hard drive, and graphics card. It also shows % of RAM being used and the upload/download speeds. Very un-intrusive clickable floating bar.

5. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Speccy will give you all the info you need from CPU temps to all device info.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speccy.html

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm with you Muskie on using Real Temp in the main, but also have AIDA64 Extreme for detailed info on not only temps but hardware etc, but its not free so not for everyone.

7. edweather

I installed Core Temp on my wife's computer, Win 7, and it works fine. I have an older computer, Dell Dimension 3000 from 2004, Windows XP, and I loaded Speecy, and Speedfan, both programs work well, but I can't seem to get the CPU temp. They both show my hard drive temps, but no CPU. Is it possible there is no temp sensor on my CPU?

8. edweather

I downloaded Real Temp, but can't figure out how to install it. It shows up in a zip file. Can you give me a tip please. Thanks Ed

9. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

Maybe you can use a simple Batch code (not all hardware supports the WMI class and not every XP Version supports the WMIC command).
    Code:
    @echo off &setlocal
    for /f "delims== tokens=2" %%i in (
      'wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature GET CurrentTemperature /value'
    ) do set /a cputemp = %%i - 2732
    echo %cputemp:~,-1%.%cputemp:~-1% Degrees Celsius
    set /a cputemp = cputemp * 18 + 3200
    echo %cputemp:~,-2%.%cputemp:~-2% Degrees Fahrenheit
    pause

Vista onwards you have to right-click and "Run as Administrator".

Regards
    GermanOne

10. edweather

JoeRay12, I extracted all of the files and I just don't see the .exe file. I'm sure I'm missing something. Will try again later.

11. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Here's a snapshot of the file you must double-click.

Attached Files:

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I suspect edweather doesn't have file extensions showing. That makes it harder to figure out the exe files.

edweather, do this:
    1. Click start/orb
    2. Type folder options in the run box and press enter
    3. Click on the view tab
    4. Remove the check/tick from the box in front of "hide extensions for known file types"
    5. Click Apply before you close this box.

13. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

From what I've been able to find, there is no software supported sensor on the Dimension boards that can be directly read.

I've the same problem with a 2004 Dimension 4600 with a P4 and Win XP.

14. edweather

OK, so I tried to run Real Temp and it says my processor, P4, isn't supported.

Ploder, not sure if it's too late to try your trick, but I don't know what start/orb means.

Thanks for all the help.

15. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

Start/orb is the Windows Button at the left side on your task bar. But since you already got the program to run it doesn't matter. Plodr just explained how to let the file extensions show up in your Explorer window ... Nevermind.

Pentium 4 doesn't have any core temperature sensor that could be read. So I fear you are unable to monitor that temperature at all. A "super I/O" (hardware monitoring chip) would be required on the mainboard to do measurements on the thermal diode that is embedded in your CPU. I'm not aware of any software that would support it though.

16. edweather

OK no big deal. My computer is running fine, just thought it would be cool (get it?) to see. I thanked all replies in the thread.

17. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

Hi Ed,

First let me say I use coretemp for an i5 two-core machine - seems to work fine, doesn't need installing (exe), runs in quasi-real time (unlike Speccy) and it's small.

Measuring the temp. of P4 and earlier processors is more complex. (I can't say for AMD processors). P4s atleast the earlier ones have no temperature sensing diode built into the processor core as do Core processors. Where the temperature sensor is I do not know. the intel processor diagnostic (free download from intel) falls over on my Northwood CPU, Speccy does not give a CPU temperature and CoreTemp doesn't work either.

MBM5 AND SPEEDFAN have RESULTS (i figured the speedfan 'CPU' temp by comparison with Temps from MBM5 and SiSoftSandraLite) but I really don't know what it's measuring. Looking on the Intel site tells you which processors have temperature sensors (can't give you a link because it's been a while since I looked myself). Most if not all of the programs which give a temperature read the Winbond chip on the motherboard which is connected in various ways to the the sensors (which may be differently connected for each m/b). Thus I don't know how the temp. sensor for 'CPU' is actually located but it certainly is not within the CPU core for P4's. Motherboard mabufacturers will not release info on how the Winbond chip is hard wired (connected to what); one reason stated for cessation of development of the MBM5 project. This is also why there is confusion with eg speedfan over which reading means what.

Some of the above is doubtless mis-remembered and therefore subject to error

Dumb_Question
    11.April.2015

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds